Neighbour complaints

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I shook out a hive with laying workers yesterday at an out apiary. I brought the empty hive back and stored it in a bee-leaky plastic wood store next to the house. Today the local bees have found it and I now have 1000's of bees everywhere. I'm assuming most will go home tonight so I can sort the mess out. My naughty :)

One if the most useful bee items is a sealed shed!
E

(I brought the empty hive back and stored it in a bee-leaky plastic wood store next to the house. Today the local bees have found it and I now have 1000's of bees everywhere.)

Done this myself - amazing how many bees gather but you learn from your mistakes.

Cling film and gaffer tape solve most such problems - so I have found..

I have an extractor fan in my honey house (insect proofed ) .
when extracting honey there is normally a large comet of honeybees, bumble bees and wasps ,down stream . They must have loads of stamina ,as they stay there until either its dark or I've switched the fan off :)
VM

BTDT. Only once before i learned not to! Bees hung around for about three days. I thought there was no entry for bees to a super of frames parked on concrete. How wrong I was. Never again. It did not take long for the cloud of bees to home in on it.

I trapped loads of bees in a bucket with a couple of Porter bee escapes fitted, placed on the same position, and reinforced a colony at an out apiary, so I did have some gain from it.

Last edited:
An annoying wasp wouldn't leave my hive tool alone after inspecting a hive, it took eight attempts for me to swat it, I need a bigger hive tool lol , then watched bees turfing one out at the entrance, good old bees doing their job well

I completely cleared any frames or honey but they are back this morning. :(

Oliver, I like the idea of a temporary bee trap with a rhombus escape. I'll set that up later this morning to hoover up the more persistent ones.

My neighbours grunted when I last gave them a jar of honey and I'm not wasting a bottle of champagne on them...

Yeah! Dusty must have read the biblical reference to houses built on rock and houses built on sand :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just pointing out the paucity of JBM's Don Juan skills.

Didn't even consider offering the long-suffering Mrs JBM, a night out in Bangor or a weekend at Mahunthleth, Machunleth, Mach - dammit, Cardiff.

Dusty

. . . . . . . . . .Didn't even consider offering the long-suffering Mrs JBM, a night out in Bangor or a weekend at Mahunthleth, Machunleth, Mach - dammit, Cardiff.

Dusty

You're confusing your North & South there! :smilielol5:
Only real similarity is the local fondness for woolly jumpers.

Latest posts

Back