Need to move hives to get sun over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Is it ok to move them under the 3ft thing now? One hive is in the shade so needs to be moved a total of about 10 ft combined. The colony in the sun is jamming in the stores today but the one in the shade is a lot slower as its colder there and is the bigger colony.

How long do I leave them at the 3 ft positions ?

It will be fine to move them. You can move them every day. Best to do it leaving enough time for them to find the new entrance before they stop flying for the day.
Cazza

I was planning on moving them last thing in the evening is that no good, is it better to do it first thing in the morning then? I have to move the hive on the left to behind the hive on the right in stages where to the flower pot is

Attachments

• IMAG0144_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0144_BURST002.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 86
I was planning on moving them last thing in the evening is that no good, is it better to do it first thing in the morning then? I have to move the hive on the left to behind the hive on the right in stages where to the flower pot is

Late evening is always best but frankly in your case I wouldn't get concerned anyway. Leave as is and they will manage matters themselves according to their needs.

Personally I would move them straight to the new position as you say it is the stronger colony and the flying bees would then be split between the two colonies hopefully giving you two equally strong colonies.

Ducks bullets
Colin

Doesn't look like a lot of space to be working with.

Move the one on the right to the flower pot position in one move

Then move the Ieft hand hive in stages, creeping it over the space of a week to where the right hand hive currently is.

Job done.

But still looks very snug!

Doesn't look like a lot of space to be working with.

Move the one on the right to the flower pot position in one move

Then move the Ieft hand hive in stages, creeping it over the space of a week to where the right hand hive currently is.

Job done.

But still looks very snug!
Is a bit snug but when the left hive is moved I can turn the bench 90 degrees they'll both get Sun early till about 3 pm

Why would you even consider moving them? Do you really think that a little extra exposure is going to markedly influence their need and ability to forage?

You'll cause more mayhem by moving them than any unlikely detrimental effect of shading. Would you consider moving a tree by the same reasoning?

And shade in winter is more likely to inhibit bees' unseasonal ventures and consequent chilling to death.

And, looking at your photograph, you will have thereby made artificial swarming a difficult operation and the move will encourage drifting.

I've had that déjà vu before...

Last edited:
Why would you even consider moving them? Do you really think that a little extra exposure is going to markedly influence their need and ability to forage?

You'll cause more mayhem by moving them than any unlikely detrimental effect of shading. Would you consider moving a tree by the same reasoning?

And shade in winter is more likely to inhibit bees' unseasonal ventures and consequent chilling to death.

I've had that déjà vu before...

No I wouldn't consider moving a tree, if it grew there it suits it!

The bees however were put there and Yes I think it will make a difference especially early and late season foraging. The hive on the right is active 2 hours earlier than the hive on the left now that the sun is lower on the horizon even though the left hive is slightly larger in bees. The left hive due to being close to the fence has NO direct sunlight at this time of year so they are staying in until later in the day, HB is still on here and ivy should be soon so they need to get out. The only reason it is where it is was due to AS earlier this year.

I'd just move them in one go - so close together they'll find their way into one or the other of the hives - I'd also rip up that bench and turn it into a hive stand - not much use for having a family picnic that close to the hives :)

I'd just move them in one go - so close together they'll find their way into one or the other of the hives - I'd also rip up that bench and turn it into a hive stand - not much use for having a family picnic that close to the hives :)

You're right it doesn't get used for picnics anymore. However it is far too handy to remove it's more of a bee workbench than a picnic bench

Latest posts

Back