Nearest osr

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
The nearest osr to my out apiary is 2.7 miles. Is it likely that they will travel that far?
All there is nearby is wild flowers and gorse at this time.

I thought that the range for bees was up to 2 miles. In the temperatures down here today I'll be lucky if they fly at at all. Still can't feel my feet from standing in the yard painting poly nucs yesterday! Hope it is warmer where you are.

Hi Cussword it is a long way for them to travel. It is towards the limit of their effective range. If there are other sources nearer they will obviously use these in preference to flying that far. The trade off is quality over quantity over distance.

The weather is so variable I think they will forage nearer to home. Are there any domestic gardens nearby? Although the hedgerows seem pretty bare as yet mine seem to be collecting from gardens in the village.

No domestic gardens for at least 1 1/2 miles, apart from the chap's that owns the land.
He sells his grass to the local farmer for silage, so not too many wild flowers, just the hedgerows and pastures that look bare.

From June onwards last year, from a split swarm they managed to fill three shallow frames with honey at season's end. I nadired it for over the Winter.

they will find their most efficient source. If there is forage of more value, they will go for that instead.

On one of my apiarys, a field of rape was growing at a whisker under 3 miles away. Only 2 out of 11 hives found the field..

Help them..... Ask the farmer if you could put a hive in the field!
E

worth finding out whether it is an f2 hybrid first.

bees will pass others sources of nectar to reach oil seed rape. It secretes at much lower temps. so in answer to your question I would say yes.

It might be a plan to ask yourself why you want the bees to find it?

There are serious drawbacks if you are not properly equipped both with the knowledge to soft cream and the kit to do it.

My bees over the last seven years have been no further than 500m from OSR and often closer and not a super have I had (to my delight) as OSR and comb honey are not a great mix.

No need to make a rod for your back.

KISS

PH

It might be a plan to ask yourself why you want the bees to find it?

There are serious drawbacks if you are not properly equipped both with the knowledge to soft cream and the kit to do it.

My bees over the last seven years have been no further than 500m from OSR and often closer and not a super have I had (to my delight) as OSR and comb honey are not a great mix.

No need to make a rod for your back.

KISS

PH

I had 40 hives on OSR last year, and 20 the year before.... very little but pollen (it was a hybrid variety)

I have 35 going on this year. I am paid for it, but is barely worth it without the honey crop.... the farmers always seem happy though.

The only time I have collected OSR honey was from apiary's where I did not want it...

I initially wanted to know if my bees would travel that far. If they could I would be forewarned. Then I would have to learn how to deal with it.

Last edited:
I think Ratnieks team discovered that bees can travel as far as 10 miles for a crop, so if they find it they'll probably collect it.

Keep an eye out for bees with a dot of yellow pollen in the middle of their head, then you'll know they've found OSR.

Was that not for water. For nectar it would not pay.

10 miles says desperation to me.

PH

When I was learning, I think it was mentioned up to 1,5km is acceptable to bees go for forage. After that I think they eat more than bring. Cause each time bee fly out from hive take some food to have for flight. I heard such stories, they fly as mad but hives are every day lighter..

10 days forecast to Blackpool says that day temp will be under 15C and rain almost every day.

But you see, it bees' front face has yellow triangle, they have been on rape. Like Bee Jay said.

My hives have foraged summer rape from 3 miles distance, but temps were 25C.

If bees forage rape from field mile away, half of yield will be spent to logistics.

Last edited:
Well, you're de finnie tely right 'bout the forecast Finnie. :)

Thanks for the info all.

I think Ratnieks team discovered that bees can travel as far as 10 miles for a crop, so if they find it they'll probably collect it.
My notes said it was 10 miles, but the internet says it's 14km, which is 8.7 miles.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lasi/sussexplan/dances
Was that not for water. For nectar it would not pay.

10 miles says desperation to me.
But you aren't a bee.

None of us really knows how bees make decisions, or why, all we can do is look at what they're doing and mostly end up trying to anthropomorphise our observations because we don't really understand how a superorganism can function, because we work as individuals.

Honey bees may be the most researched insect in the world, but we really don't have a clue!

It was ultimate record, and not usual foraging trip.

One beek researched in Finland, how bees move in archipelago of sea. He found one marked bee in a hive, which was 10 km away from its home hive. A little bit drifted.

Last edited:
Last year bees at the home apiary piled in the heather honey (and the heather yield was very poor last year) and gave nme about 150lb of the stuff - nearest stand of heather is 1.9 miles away. Even found some heather honey in a hive over five miles away.

Latest posts

Back