NBU inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baggyone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
got a visit on thursday from the seasonal man. only 2 days notice and he was quite rude to the wife. bit late in the year too imho. does anyone know how late they usually work?

Seasonal bee inspectors finish in two weeks I think. The rudeness is free of charge I believe.

Last edited:
Tell them to come back when they have some manners. I have never had any probs with any bee inspectors that have visited me.

Everyone has a bad day from time to time!

Generally, they seem to be helpful and friendly.
Occasionally they are a bit busy. And probably don't feel they need to be given a pile of extra things to do in the last couple of weeks of their part-time (seasonal) employment.

Did he mention anything about any local outbreaks, or why he was visiting?

not seen mine this year.

think cose the number of hives I have now it would take her most the day to do them all.

Guess its the same chap who came to mine a few weeks back, invited him as he was in the area. Agreed a day and time and I helped him by opening up and closing behind him. Did my 30 hives in a couple of hours or so. All ok and nice afternoon. He told me he was moving to lincs and your area next.

Haven't seen ours for 4 years now. Was very helpful when we started though. At least that hopefully means none of my nearby fellow beeks have had any nasties! ( Or their bees!)

SBI's are laid off at the end of this month - they are under pressure to meet inspection targets so he's probably trying to squeeze a few more in between the bad weather (and probably getting a bit of stick from some of the punters)

Haven't seen ours for 4 years now. Was very helpful when we started though. At least that hopefully means none of my nearby fellow beeks have had any nasties! ( Or their bees!)

Me either - I know there has been EFB in the area for the last 2 years - but still not had a visit, and my first one 4 1/2 years ago was at my request and very useful.

Just in the area I think.

I had a phone call from mine a couple of weeks ago to say he was coming to the area next day and would like to see my bees. While talking I said the Apiguard treatment was on. He immediately said he would defer to another time.
Pity really as I would have liked the reassurance of an inspection but that's life. Hopefully we will meet next year.

I was inspected this year for the first time in eight years

I was inspected within a month of registering on Beebase!
Inspector found two unmarked queens I had been looking for though :)

I wasn't inspected for the first time in 7 years. I've also had no foulbrood alerts this year, so I hope this means my neighbours have had better seasons.

I was contacted by the bee inspector yesterday.
he wants to inspect my hives i have no problem with this infact i would like to have a chat with him about things in general.

24th september is his last day for inspections in my area and was also the day he wanted to attend. unfortunately i have an appointment i cannot change that day.
i left him a voice mail explaining this and he was fine about it.
he is going to try and work round the appointment but if that doesn't work he will inspect my hives early next year.
he did offer to inspect them without me there but he can't do that unless he climbs over a gate or barbed wire fence.

it seems that because i am within a mile or so of a zoo i will get more inspections than normal.
the zoo increases the risk of shb and other unwanted things .

I was last inspected three years ago.
The SBI inspects the association apiary every year - easy, convenient and he usually gets more than one beekeeper in one visit so it helps his figures. As I have one hive down there I suppose the other two apiaries slip the net as I have an inspection next to my name every year. Ho Hum!

I was inspected within 3 months of Beebase - in 2010. Since then never - but I've met the inspector several times at BBKA meetings.

Latest posts

Back