My thread. New bee keeper needing info. will update with pics of my project.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really need £6k and a boat to catch crabs?

Most set out to have a bit of fun, with no consideration that they might be at risk of catching crabs!

The way I see it is that Chris B needed a boat to catch bees and Murray wasn't far behind him, but couldn't afford the boat as he has spent a lot of money to feed all his bees . . .

Joking aside, consider that you may not get any surplus honey, you may lose swarms, so dwindling bees and they will still need treated and fed in the autumn at around 12kg of sugar as syrup for each colony.

Buy two nucs and make/nuy two hives, then make equipment like crazy and make splits in your second year. Find out apiaries to keep the majority of your bees in and factor in things like fuel costs.

Originally Posted by irishguy
The 25 working hives will cost £250 each = £6250 and should return you about one ton of honey
it sounds like a long running advert and can anyone ever verify that they have bought a "Bees for Business", from Gloucester, package and made the target and more importantly; sold the honey back to the loveable vendor under the terms of the deal?

I think not, on both counts, but would like to hear of other's experiences on the matter as a point of enlightenment rather than wishful thinking.

Last edited:
£6000 would buy you a nice boat and a line of pots...
go crabbing
,...... will "sherly" give you a better return on your cash than beekeepering to be sure, to be sure!​

No need to buy a boat as i prob built the best looking boat on this island during the summer. If your interested to see pics of said boat, ill gladly post ;)

Ive had a serious think about the bees and its either 2 or 3 getting started in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy
The 25 working hives will cost £250 each = £6250 and should return you about one ton of honey

it sounds like a long running advert and can anyone ever verify that they have bought a "Bees for Business", from Gloucester, package and made the target and more importantly; sold the honey back to the loveable vendor under the terms of the deal?

I think not, on both counts, but would like to hear of other's experiences on the matter as a point of enlightenment rather than wishful thinking.

Think this guy should cut his prices and try to shift as many as posible now seeing as he had 4 or 5 tons of honey stole on him recently.

No need to buy a boat as i prob built the best looking boat on this island during the summer. If your interested to see pics of said boat, ill gladly post ;)Ive had a serious think about the bees and its either 2 or 3 getting started in the coming months.

Not the person you replied to but as with a good few others on this forum always happy to see things that people work with their hands and eye.

Not the person you replied to but as with a good few others on this forum always happy to see things that people work with their hands and eye.

418812_361928143885128_1060600443_n.jpg

422198_361928460551763_1195046115_n.jpg

579993_361927423885200_846263087_n.jpg

O my lord that’s beautiful.

Did you make board to fit in the bottom of the boat when afloat

O my lord that’s beautiful.

Did you make board to fit in the bottom of the boat when afloat

Cheers tom . If you mean did i make a floor for the inner side of the boat, no but it can be done. Ive had it out a few times and it isnt that slippery to be honest, well not when im sitting down anyway,lol.

Wow if you made that then I would not question your ability to build a hive and if there as pretty as that I'll take two.

Fabulous job and it's nice to see a traditional hand crafted boat made by hand, what wood did you use for the planking and did you have to steam them

Fabulous job and it's nice to see a traditional hand crafted boat made by hand, what wood did you use for the planking and did you have to steam them

I used ash for the keel and handrails, westeren red cedar for the hull and solid oak for the seats.The transom(back part of boat) oars where made from red deal(pine) It took me 175hours from start to finish and enjoied every min of it. Ive also build a few canoes but i would say the boat is head and shoulders above them. I didnt have to bend the ash around teh stem, they usually are steam bend but i got away with it on thsi boat. I cut the pieces into a few mm and bend them around a template and stuck together with epoxy resin

The 175 hours to make the boat irishguy will pail into insignificance compared to the pleasure the boat will give you and the people that will over time will admire it. I have not made anything similar although I have looked at clinker boats in the past but I do know what is required and what the extra is required beyond skill to do something like that. Thanks for sharing it.

IrishG

that is truly a sight to behold!

Thank you, for some strange reason looking at those pics made me very happy in a "shared heritage that still exists despite everything else" sort of way.

Happy New Year,

Richard

Beautifully crafted boat

:iagree:

Blimey, I've FINALLY finished reading all comments on this thread. I now feel exhausted but feel the need to congratulate Irishguy for his hand-crafted boat. Wow wow wow!! You have an amazing talent and really should make your own hives.

Good luck with your venture whatever you decide.

:cheers2:

hello Irishguy

is this to become a Christmas special repeat - like 'only fools and horses"?

422198_361928460551763_1195046115_n.jpg

hello Irishguy

is this to become a Christmas special repeat - like 'only fools and horses"?

Yeah it seems like it richard lol. To be fair thou, if you look over my posts, i did mention that i couldnt start the hives last year because i had to upgrade my percolation area on my site. If i didnt have to do this , id already be well set up with hives. Sure we all know what life is like, we get set backs in it but im 99.9% sure that ill have my hives in 2014. As soon as i get xmass over me, the beehives will be getting constructed and will be on the look out for local bee's.

Latest posts

Back