My first hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the best with your new bees, All good advice given and taken on board, The only thing I would add is don't disturb them to often, All the best and keep us all posted.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

I did go and take a look. The swarm has been in there almost two weeks now.

I saw three of the frames half-covered with newly drawn comb, some with white-capped cells (storage of the sugar solution?), some open with what looked like feed. Some cells seemed to have a dark substance in them (pollen?).

I didn't see any brood nor did I see a nice circular pattern with the bees working in the middle of the frames. Most of the comb was up in one corner or half of the frames.

I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. My first thought was that the colony is queenless but any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Quick update: I'm delighted to say that my premonitions of disaster have proved entirely unfounded. At today's inspection, now 17 days since the swarm was hived, I saw capped brood, larvae and capped stores, and dark cells that I'd guess have pollen in them. There's a queen in there somewhere (haven't seen her yet).

The weather has improved and I'm guessing they can fend for themselves now, so I've removed the feeder. Fingers crossed!

That's brilliant news. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Well, bit of an update since I think the queen has gone. Weekly inspections throughout July showed brood and larvae - I never did see eggs or the queen but but put it down to inexperience, and saw proof of her presence in board & larvae.

I don't think she is now as there's no brood. All the cells where the brood was looked empty to me. No queen cells.

Am I right? If so, what are my options? Is it too late to install a foreign queen?

Thanks!

Well, bit of an update since I think the queen has gone. Weekly inspections throughout July showed brood and larvae - I never did see eggs or the queen but but put it down to inexperience, and saw proof of her presence in board & larvae.

I don't think she is now as there's no brood. All the cells where the brood was looked empty to me. No queen cells.

Am I right? If so, what are my options? Is it too late to install a foreign queen?

I know having your first bees is an exciting time but reading through this thread from the start it appears you have dived into the hive much more than is wise. One of the first rules I was taught is don't open the hive unless you have a valid reason to do so. (curiosity isn't on the list of valid reasons).
Your laying queen might be taking a brood break but equally you might have crushed her inadvertently. Manipulation technique, confidence and an empathy with the hive are vital. Do you have a mentor or a bee buddy?
If you think you have lost the queen you should take a frame with eggs and young larvae on it and insert it into the hive as a "test frame".If the bees draw emergency queen cells on it they have recognised they are queenless and are trying to grow a replacement. If they don't draw queen cells there probably is a queen in there (but not guaranteed). Plenty of posts in here for how to react.
You need a source of frames with eggs and larvae of course so a beginner with one hive needs friends :)
I'm a big believer in the benefits of clear crownboards. It enables you to monitor the bees without disrupting the hive. There's a few to be found on ebay.

Thanks for the advice.

I have been extremely careful when lifting and replacing frames so I don't think I've crushed her. And I thought a weekly examination was about right to spot potential signs of swarming.

I've a local BKA meeting tomorrow so I'll see if I can get practical help from one of the other members.

Do you have a good book for quick reference?

It's so hard for us new beekeepers not to keep delving into the hive for no reason other than curiosity.

I second the clear crown board idea if you can't resist looking in.

I like the idea of clear crown boards as I lift the lid some evening to check crowding but only inspect weekly unless weather gets in the way. May order some next time I buy kit.
Checking my cast swarm today. No evidence of queen to date and 3 weeks since cast but they are quiet. No roar. Not aggressive yet. Maybe find that young queen today I hope. Your post has helped cos as a new keeper this year I have caught 2 of my own swarms in a 1 week period and fed them on day 2 won't do that in future but will as always try to avoid the swarm.... ;-)

I was advised not to feed swarms straight away and the two I caught in 6 frame Nuc boxes (that is impossible according to some Luddites on here) have done fine with just a couple of litres of weak syrup on day four that they take three of four days to consume.

I was advised not to feed swarms straight away and the two I caught in 6 frame Nuc boxes (that is impossible according to some Luddites on here) have done fine with just a couple of litres of weak syrup on day four that they take three of four days to consume.

I hived a prime, then a cast and fed both next day. I'm new hence the prime and cast in first place.... Fed both day after and they demolished the syrup in 24-48 hours. I guess they needed it? I suppose the one saving grace is they were my own bees and low disease, I haven't seen varroa in them yet but I am vigilant. ...and before someone says it, yes I know what varroa looks like ;-)

Quick update on my first hive: since re-queening, she's been going like a train. I've been feeding 1:1 to encourage wax production and I now have both sides of two frames full of capped brood, and about half of each of the two adjoining frames covered with brood, the rest being pollen and some stores, plus two or three frames with just stores.

So they seem to have expanded quite a bit, she's still laying (thanks to the warm weather?), and I'm feeling more optimistic about this still-small colony making it through the winter.

The varroa drop is very small (they came from a small swarm and I've seen no drone cells so far). I may not have to treat this year.

Thanks for the advice I've had - and if anyone has comments, I'd be happy to see them.

Hi manek,
Glad to hear that you are back on schedule. Only two comments. What exactly is your varroa drop? I would switch to 2:1 now to give them less work to fan the water off for winter stores.

Hi Beeno, the drop today was just three.

The temperature has just dropped 10 degrees so, yes, I'm planning to get 2:1 in there. The feeder is still pretty full of 1:1 so I'm inclined to leave it until it's emptied, save disturbing them more than necessary. Smart or not?

Should be ok to let them finish the 1:1. Keep the board in for at least seven days to get a more accurate reading, but they have had a brood break so probably ok.

So I did what I'd guess will be the last full inspection for the year. There's still plenty of capped brood, new larvae and there are many more bees than before. Three frames remain empty though one is in the process of being drawn, two frames are wall-to-wall brood, a further two frames contain brood and stores, and two more are stores only.

They've finished the 1:1 so I filled the contact feeder (sitting above one of the the crown board holes to allow a bee space above the frames) with two litres of 2:1. I'll have a look in a couple of weeks and when they finish that, I plan to replace it with fondant and leave them to it for the winter.

I have slight concern over the many droplets of water and bits of mouldy pollen on a damp floor board - I've removed it (only two varroa dropped that I could see after giving it a thorough going over) to improve ventilation & condensation dispersal. I'm not too worried about it though - unless I should be?
Floor_board_20160930_162452.jpg

Last edited:
Hi manek, Mine have been taking 2 Litres per day, so make sure they are topped up as soon as it is gone. They seem a bit light on stores, but it is probably because they have a lot of brood. I do believe you have an OMF so don't leave anything under it to absorb the water from the bees evaporating the water off the syrup.

Hi manek, Mine have been taking 2 Litres per day, so make sure they are topped up as soon as it is gone. They seem a bit light on stores, but it is probably because they have a lot of brood. I do believe you have an OMF so don't leave anything under it to absorb the water from the bees evaporating the water off the syrup.

Hi beeno, thanks, I'll check the feeder much soonsr then. Two litres a day - wow!

I have slight concern over the many droplets of water and bits of mouldy pollen on a damp floor board - I've removed it
View attachment 13605

So you should - only needs to be in when treating or for a week or so as an occasional check.

Mine have been taking 2 Litres per day

Slowing down then are they? I'd expect bees to be hoovering it down a lot quicker than that at this time of year, unless they're a bit nosemic.

So you should - only needs to be in when treating or for a week or so as an occasional check.

Slowing down then are they? I'd expect bees to be hoovering it down a lot quicker than that at this time of year, unless they're a bit nosemic.

You are soo competitive Jenkins. I am very happy with the winter preps of my colonies thank you. Don't forget that you have only just started feeding yours. My nuc however, took down 1 litre in two hours which I found somewhat surprising. Thought there was "a hole in the bucket".

Latest posts

Back