My chicken coop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My previous chicken coop had a small run attached but going up to let them out in the morning before work was tiresome so I needed a better solution.

I saw this on TV and thought I would give it a go.

It works very well and all the chickens now retreat up the ladder to safety every night. They can free range as much as they want but i need to fence off the veg patch as they are ripping it to shreds..

Hopefully the fox doesnt work out how to use the ladder!

25885743201_fca7476b45_c.jpg
[/url]2016-03-22_08-52-02 by laurence edwards, on Flickr[/IMG]

Who's Charlie?

I go up in the evening and close the coop door but no longer round them up. they are always in the coop before dusk..

Who's Charlie?

I go up in the evening and close the coop door but no longer round them up. they are always in the coop before dusk..

Slang word for fox.

Won't make any difference if a fox climbed the ladder, if they are shut in anyway, is this coop less tiresome to have to go and open every morning than their previous coop?

Ah i see..

You really think a fox could climb that ladder? The chickens make hard enough work of it...

that's a very good point.

I say I close the door, but that's only been a temporary solution while they have been learning to climb the ladder.

Last couple of days I have left it open and plan to leave it open indefinitely.

You reckon that's safe?

Its actually further away. the idea being I can go up once a day and feed, change their water etc..

Last edited:
I've seen foxes negotiate obstacles such as that with no difficulties - and at speed. Leaving a coop door open at night is the equivalent of an honesty box at a Liverpool offlicence.

A fox is not far different to a cat agility wise but regardless of that you are wasting your time trying to fox proof the coop if you let them free range, a vixen with cubs will make short work of free ranging chickens, they are basically like lambs waiting for the slaughter if there is foxes in the area.
A secure chicken run is your best defense but a determined fox is hard to keep at bay.

There are thousands and thousands of lambs within a couple of miles of where I live so I guess there are a fair few foxes (and cubs) and also a fair few farmers who shoot the foxes to keep numbers down. Double edged sword!

I dont like them being cooped up. I dont think its a nice life for a chicken. If a fox takes them so be it, they will have had a great life scratching around eating bugs.

I was trying to get a compromise between a good life and relative security.

I was under the impression foxes weren't particularly good at climbing?

Hmm, maybe I will get an automatic door opener/closer then to keep them safe at night...

I dont like them being cooped up.

Closing the door behind them after they cwtch up at night isn't really cooping them up is it? they still have all day to potter around.

I was under the impression foxes weren't particularly good at climbing?
well it's not really climbing is it? it's just a narrow ramp - I've seen foxes running along single brick stepped walls and even wooden fence rails (until they get into range) and climbing ladders isn't really an issue for them either, especially if there's a tasty little snack at the end and believe you me, a fox let loose in a coop full of roosting hens is not a nice sight at all.
If you keep chickens, you have a responsibility for their wellbeing as well - I often don't feel like walking up to the chicken run in the dark, in the cold and in the driving wind and rain. But, it has to be done.

to make it more difficult for a fox you could have

- used round rungs,
hens can easily grip a round stick but they're much more difficult for a fox.

- used a thin plank on it's edge rather than a wide beam,
that gives far less surface to rest a foot on

- made it far more rickety and wobbly,
hens are very light and comfortable climbing trees that move with their weight,
foxes prefer a secure surface to climb on. A good one that I've seen had the lower end suspended from a tree branch by rope, it moved in the wind so would have been really difficult to climb.

thanks for all the comments. Especially the amendments to the ladder. now that they are used to climbing it, I will use a narrower beam and change the rungs over.

When I referred to them being cooped up I was talking about them being there 24/7. Im not against letting them out in the morning and closing the door in the evening although if i can set up an automatic door opener that will give them the best of both worlds (free range in the day, safe at night) and will limit the amount of time I have to go and tend to them.

With regard to responsibility, i dont think letting them free range during the day is irresponsible. Its a nicer life and if a fox did come along, he more than likely wouldnt get them all like he would if he broke into an enclosed coop.

Nothing wrong with letting them range completely during the day - you might lose the odd one to fox (or even cat) but it's the risk you take - it's at night when they're all roosted up and there are more foraging foxes (and badgers) that the trouble starts

ooh, we definitely have badgers as well.

Will take all comments on board.

Will change the ladder to something less stable and will tweak the door so it will accept an automatic door opener.

Hugh Furry Whipping Stool "Invented" a similar chicken coop.
On top or poles it had an open floor with perches for the chickens.. you would need a very acrobatic fox to get them.... however a stoat would make a killing

Get an electrick fence!

Yeghes da

I don't have chickens so this is just a wild idea.

Instead of a ramp, what about a seesaw counter balanced to take the weight of a few chickens but not the fox ? How many chickens equals one fox I wonder ? Might be an issue if they flock together.

Won't help with the stoat either.

Foxes take in the day - had one taken from the doorstep once whilst sat having a cup of tea. Hungry vixen a with cubs hunt 24:7.

And that ladder would be up there in a flash.

People who under estimate foxes usually end up with two things:

Dead chickens and;

empty wallets

Latest posts

Back