My bees are going on Saturday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dam shame, you will be missed by all but your health is the most important thing to you and your family, I hope you find an alternative hobby that will give you as much happiness as beekeeping :grouphug:

Bad luck, very sad for you. HOWEVER- while I'm sure you're right to get rid of your bees, don't rush to get rid of all your kit- you may find treatment becomes available and you can go back to it in the future.

All the best.

What a shame freethorpe and as others have said it may be sensible to keep your kit until you are sure which way you are going.

I consider myself fortunate not to react much, indeed often not at all and yet it's always in the back of my mind when I take a bunch of stings.

I know most people on here are in the UK, but a couple of things ITLD. Firstly, and there's no reason why you should know this, all bites and stings can cause infection and infectious situations requiring antibiotics with some people, especially in warmer climates. This happens to me sometimes with wasp stings and I use honey first which usually works. Secondly, it simply isn't practical in warmer climates with high temperatures to wear a lot of protection, you'd be in more serious danger from overheating and dehydration than from taking some stings.

Once again freethorpe, good luck with whatever course of action you decide to follow.

Chris

I know most people on here are in the UK, but a couple of things ITLD. Firstly, and there's no reason why you should know this, all bites and stings can cause infection and infectious situations requiring antibiotics with some people, especially in warmer climates.

Yes, have had this problem explained off list to me by someone else now. we have never encountered this here and so was surprised at the statement. Have a couple of New Zealanders here now and they had never met it either.

Secondly, it simply isn't practical in warmer climates with high temperatures to wear a lot of protection, you'd be in more serious danger from overheating and dehydration than from taking some stings.

Have discussed this issue extensively in another thread recently, about why the drive for gentle bees and the dislike of A.m.m. stock in the hotter countries with large bee farms. you just cannot do the hard graft all fully kitted up, so bees that can turn svage in the wrong conditions are just unsuitable. We even get the odd days here in Scotland when you get dizzy and faint from the heat whilst all geared up and working hard.

Once again freethorpe, good luck with whatever course of action you decide to follow.
Of course, completely agreed, thats the main thing.

Most heavy stinging incidents are the result of 'familiarity breeds contempt' on behalf of the keeper whereby they decide 'it will be ok' and take shortcuts, then get a hammering. They are also often the result of listening to foolhardy advice, often given by extremely experienced people, about how to work their bees. Be prepared, wear the best of gear, and in sufficient thickness for it to be impenetrable, avoid all stinging if possible, and stay safe.

I understand the sentiment. Last year my kit was rubbish, I used to get bees in the veil, bees up my legs, all sorts. I now have an all in one suit (from Sheriff) and those sort of incidents are history. As a result, I'm a better beekeeper - no more panics when I think a bee is on the wrong side of the veil, and I concentrate on the bees.

The remaining question is the hands. We currently have 18 hives, and during an inspection, I will inevitably get one or two bees taking exception. I use the standard goat skin leather gloves, which seem to take a lot of the venom, but I'm still getting stung. Clearly I could upgrade to drain gauntlets, but that would make it impossible to handle the bees gently.

So what do you use for gloves?

I am fortunate that in terms of reaction, I seem to be declining. When we started, a sting was a big event with loads of swelling. Now, if I get stung, it feels and reacts more like an ant sting...

Freethorpe, sorry to hear about the problem. Stay safe but if the opportunity does come up to have the treatment, go for it and get some bees again. And stick with the forum.

The remaining question is the hands. We currently have 18 hives, and during an inspection, I will inevitably get one or two bees taking exception. I use the standard goat skin leather gloves, which seem to take a lot of the venom, but I'm still getting stung. Clearly I could upgrade to drain gauntlets, but that would make it impossible to handle the bees gently.

So what do you use for gloves?
QUOTE]
Leather gloves aren't ideal because bees can get a grip and sting them which leaves alarm pheromone on the glove to entice more stinging. If the bees are tetchy and I feel more confident with gloves, I wear washing up gloves, a bit more protection is offered by spontex "tuff" rubber gloves as the bees can not get their stings through these. If you feel you need to wear leather gloves, a good idea is to wear disposable rubber gloves over these as the shear surface doesnt offer the bees any purchase and they find it harder to sting. Many stings to the hands are what I'd term casual stings, the bee doesnt really mean it but they half heartedly go to warn you off then get their barb stuck and panic, the shinier surface of a rubber glove certainly dissuades these casual stings.
Feeling for you freethorpe, I'd be lost without my bees. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to learn of this Freethorpe.

ITLD (Murray) - thanks for this informative and timely reminder. There can be no doubt, that if there is any doubt (if you see what I mean) then the full complement of protective gear is essential, which ought to include (near) sting-proof garments.

I think that I have a reasonable grasp on what my reactions may be (on past experience) and find that I can easily tolerate a sting or three now and again. I choose to use thin gloves. That said, I am aware that an unexpected and severe reaction may occur. Anti-histamines are never far away and I have a mobile phone with me at all times during inspections. Such sensitivities need to be managed very effectively.

Interesting to hear of the precautions in place as implemented by a professional body (as an H&S professional myself, I would be interested to see the formal RA)!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Freethorpe.
You seem to have been on here a long time.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sorry to hear about this Freethorpe.

I know what you are going, through every time I get stung on the face I end up all swollen and even with antihistamines, ice and ibuprofen.

It takes at least two days to look normal, but some times takes longer.

Can you get more used to it over time?
As I dont feel ill, I just swell up.

Sorry hello all first post, been lurking until now. Second year beekeeper.

and ibuprofen

As an aside to the main thread, beware of taking ibuprofen or any 'NSAIDS' - it/they can seriously exacerbate the normal reaction to a bee sting.

I know what you are going, through every time I get stung on the face I end up all swollen and even with antihistamines, ice and ibuprofen.

I suffered as you for years , up to my having a heart attack . Since being prescribed various heart medications , miraculously the swelling no longer occurs . Doc on here seems to think it may be the lisinopril(an ace inhibitor) that I am on, doing the trick for me :) .Apparently it reduces inflamation !
VM

Hi Splodge, and welcome. I'm surprised you make it sound like getting stung on the face is a routine thing- do you need a new suit? So far I've had about 7,000,000 through the gloves, and a couple when my sleeves have come untucked from my gloves, but nowhere else.

Sad for you Freethorpe:.( Stick around please, and as the others say, keep your gear, you never know......

Sad for you Freethorpe:.( Stick around please, and as the others say, keep your gear, you never know......

:iagree:. I'd drive half way across the county for desensitization. Damn bee addiction. Maybe they will get a centre closer to you Freethorpe.

Only twice had a sting on the face...both from strange swarms - one looking up (chin is vulnerable) and one to the cheek from a kamikaze bee from a hundred metres away unsuited. Splodge, summat must be wrong with the kit...:eek:

As for gloves, excellent post mbc. I wear nitriles and most stings are casual due this season largely to propolis issues (note to self, take the soda bucket...) though had quite a few get lost down the wrist with the latest box as not such a good fit. Two pairs of nitriles are pretty good protection and don't flap on the fingers (plastochromes with gauntlets for the occasional bad girls).

As an aside to the main thread, beware of taking ibuprofen or any 'NSAIDS' - it/they can seriously exacerbate the normal reaction to a bee sting.

Absolutely O90 - these drugs have a number of drawbacks which most people don't realise.

and ibuprofen

I did not know that, thank you that might help hopefully.

Hi Splodge, and welcome. I'm surprised you make it sound like getting stung on the face is a routine thing- do you need a new suit? So far I've had about 7,000,000 through the gloves, and a couple when my sleeves have come untucked from my gloves, but nowhere else.

I am just unlucky, only been stung once through the viel and thats when I was hot and it stuck to the side of my face. I now wear a hat underneath to stop that from happening again.

The other two times - (both no gear on as no where near a hive)
first apiary visit(not mine), I got out of the car and got stung on the face.
Sunday was talking to the land owner of our out apiary and a very angry bee flew at me and stung me on the face. I had just finished an inspection and they were not happy. Just glad it did not sting the land owner!

I have just been unlucky, but will not take Ibuprofen any more and see what happens. Thanks all

Dont mean to hijack the thread

Last edited:
Well the nurse rang me Monday and said I had come out 'high risk' against honey bee allergy :eek: she also said I had a low allergy to wasp stings.

Hell.

Thank you to you all for your lovely replies.

Icanhopit - Yes I have already put a hive of buff tailed bumbles on my Christmas list!

Richard Bees - yes I will continue posting - or certainly reading anyway.

outlander - I will still be involved in the honey extracting. My mate who is having my bees is not interested in the honey side of it - lucky for me!

Murray (Into the Lions Den) - thank you for the information - I hope the desensitising programme might come to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital one day - I just don't think at the moment I would be able to get to Addenbrooks so often - blooming work gets in the way!

Tom Bick - I went all last year without a sting - the year before I got hit about 20 stings in one go on the front of my leg. Apart from my leg swelling up no other reaction. The nurse thinks this may have triggered my allergy. Jubilee weekend I got a sting on my forehead (not when I was in the hives - just in the garden). At the time it happened it didn't hurt at all - one hour later I have stomach cramps, diahorr wotsit, threw up, then my face blew up so I could hardly see. Also my hands, feet and armpits itched like mad.

Village Girl - thank you - I will certainly stay on here reading and making the occassional comment!

Redwood - thank you - I am now thinking of the next hobby I can tackle!

Skyhook - thank you - I will keep my honey extracting stuff as will still be involved in that - also my beesuit for the occassional removal of supers (several layers!)

Chris Luck - thank you too

rae- I use the M****more blue gloves - they are pretty good - but also put nitrile underneath.

thorn - thank you - I will stick with this forum as it's so good!

mbc - thank you - yes I do feel lost!

Moggs, PeterS, Splodge, susbees - thank you all !

justme - thank you - I will stay on here and keep my gear!

Does anyone know if it is possible for an allergy to naturally reduce over time? Just a (desperate) thought!

FB xx

Sorry to hear this Freethorpe, this is one one my biggest worry's with bee keeping I'd hate to have to give it up..

Latest posts

Back