Moving virgins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just mating flights more like a orientation flight in first week. Disturbance of a colony when a virgin is present in a colony is not recommended. However I hope it goes well, good luck.

What disturbance? i have never seen or heard about such. How it appears?

I can't see why it should be a problem. The workers will know they're somewhere new, I'm sure they'll make sure the queen knows where her home is.

But I'd probably do my best to protect the queens during the journey, just in case something goes wrong.

All those are fairytales.

When you release a queen, it flyes at once into its entrance. Do you believe that somebody shouts there: Queeny queeny, here here!!

Update....
Well, I moved my bees, I ended up with one hive and one nuc queenless and one nuc with a mated virgin and one hive with their old queen. I guess two virgins failed. Still I have plenty to work with. What amazes me is that the bees are flying at 8 am . In the Welsh borders they had to wait until the sun got over the hills at 10!!!
Thanks for all your advice. Mixed results.
E

Update....
Well, I moved my bees, I ended up with one hive and one nuc queenless and one nuc with a mated virgin and one hive with their old queen. I guess two virgins failed. Still I have plenty to work with. What amazes me is that the bees are flying at 8 am . In the Welsh borders they had to wait until the sun got over the hills at 10!!!
Thanks for all your advice. Mixed results.
E

Like I said moving colonies with virgins is not recommended . Take note Finman.

Latest posts

Back