Moving supers for treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Has anyone ever moved supers off one hive and on to another to be finished off and capped so they can start varroa treatment earlier on a colony?

Yes, but not for that reason. Moving bees to the heather, don't want "contaminated" heather honey. They have to go with empty supers.

Yes, but not for that reason. Moving bees to the heather, don't want "contaminated" heather honey. They have to go with empty supers.

Ah right ok. Of course. Interesting.

Well I might do it then. No time to lose I'd say.

If vaping with OA and has super still on (wanting to leave as stores) presume I have to get all bees into BB then remove supers and replace after treatment? Again presume need to close hive previous evening to ensure all bees in the hive, hope enough space in BB!

Yes, but not for that reason. One colony was slow capping, so put it on a fast one.

If vaping with OA and has super still on (wanting to leave as stores) presume I have to get all bees into BB then remove supers and replace after treatment? Again presume need to close hive previous evening to ensure all bees in the hive, hope enough space in BB!

No
Move hive to the side
New floor
Lift supers onto floor so foragers returning have somewhere to go
Seal brood box and vape
Rebuild hive
Bees in supers will get oxalic from their sisters

No
Move hive to the side
New floor
Lift supers onto floor so foragers returning have somewhere to go
Seal brood box and vape
Rebuild hive
Bees in supers will get oxalic from their sisters

Gosh, that's a lot of work - remembering that summer treatment is needed x3 with five day separation.
I have finished extracting but most hives still have 1-2 supers partially filled with honey that I'm leaving them for the winter. In that case I'm assuming it's OK to vap the whole stack any time soon...............OK d'you think?

Not as much work as clearing the super. I don't see any problem if you're not selling the honey. I'd eat it vaped just not sell it

It is recommended to treat all hives in the same apiary at the same time for varroa. Untreated hives could simply reinfect the treated

It is recommended to treat all hives in the same apiary at the same time for varroa. Untreated hives could simply reinfect the treated

Sometimes a colony will need treating....stat!
You can always do it again when you do the others

Latest posts

Back