Moving Large Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to move 10 large hives double broods and a super or two of nectar to some better forage.
I usually strip them down to double brood and move them in the early morning when they are mostly in the boxes.
To save time could I move them in the day by just taking them a box at a time and loading them on the truck so take all the "boxes from one hive in one go" and leave a nuc to collect the bees I don't get then collect them in the morning?

You are joking right? Moving colonies with nectar on is a recipe for disaster. Clear them down to an empty super and then move.

PH

I use to move big hives to sedan carry so, tha I lift box by box into the pile on carry . Then mesh frame. The last two are brood boxes together. They are not heavy.

At destination I pile boxes from carry down onto stand.

I do it alone

You are joking right? Moving colonies with nectar on is a recipe for disaster. Clear them down to an empty super and then move.

PH

I use to move my honey boxes with the hive, 50-70 kg honey. I have no time to extract those honey before moving.

I use to move big hives to sedan carry so, tha I lift box by box into the pile on carry . Then mesh frame. The last two are brood boxes together. They are not heavy.

At destination I pile boxes from carry down onto stand.

I do it alone

A sedan chair requires two people to carry the load (usually a person) - so, how do you manage it on your own, Finman? Or does your sedan-carry have a wheel in front (so, actually a barrow)?

Treat yourself to a kaptar hive lifter. Those supers had over 80lbs of honey in. Bit awkward on bumpy ground but gets the lifting job done.
I'll be using mine on some double brood with three supers on to take to the borage later this week.

Kaptar3s.jpg

That's exactly what I need and exactly why I need it to take my hives from a field of winter beans to borage.

Thanks, for the info.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back