Moving Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie14

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looks like I may have to move both hives to a different area of the nature reserve that they are placed in. I know about the 3ft/3 mile rule and I have somewhere I can take them. My question is that the move could be postponed until winter, do you still have to observe the 3ft/3 mile rule in winter? Would the bees have any problems being moved then?

Thanks for the reassurance, I will wait until winter
Thanks

just saying NO and NO is not much of an answer is it.especially when answering a question from a beginner.
please state your reasons why you think moving bees in winter is a good idea....
my own opinion,for what its worth,is moving bees in winter is a bad idea....reason,
moving bees anytime causes stress for the bees,especially when the bees are in the winter cluster.while this may not kill or cause serious harm to the colony,it may in fact do just that,so why risk it.i feel you should only move bees when they are free flying and would not move any of my colonys in winter except in life or death situations.
my objections to winter moving has nothing to do with orientation which is not so much of a problem and all to do with stress.

Well I think DR answered the question sufficiently.
The OP wanted to know if moving in winter would negate the 3mile rule, and if it's cold and the bees are clustered it would.
I don't agree with your argument. If the bees are clustered and you don't shake them about too much why would it stress them any more than moving in summer when they fly out quite happily and suddenly find their home is not where it was when they went home.
That would stress me out; reminds me of my student days, waking up and having no idea where I was!

each to their own. in UK winters bees don't really cluster anyway. IMHO better to get job done in one step rather than 2 hasslesome moves when days are still long or numerous visits to apiary to do 3ft moves.

If moving them in winter, just take a bit of care that you don't bump the bees about and get them needlessly agitated.
Winter moves are pretty common practice.

/ But the hive(s) should be bl**dy heavy at the start of winter! (Get help with the lifting and carrying.)

Yes, winter's the best time for your move and I'd ditto itma's comment above about the weight.....your National bb alone should be 60 lbs+

I'd also suggest initially positioning the entrance 90 degrees different re N /S at the new location - the first bees out will pick up on this......it can prevent a few slapdash navigators getting lost!

richard

Back