Moving hives in winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
No doubt asked many times on the forum!
I want to move hives 30 yards and cant move them slowly (3 feet at a time) due to sheep and the time it takes. Does it work if moved during a cold spell in winter when mostly not flying (and even use twigs too)?

Yes. Cold days when not flying for two or three weeks. If it warms up and you have OMF floors then block entrances for a few days. Some will return to old site but they will be gone by the evening. Worked for me
E

Yes. Cold days when not flying for two or three weeks. If it warms up and you have OMF floors then block entrances for a few days. Some will return to old site but they will be gone by the evening. Worked for me
E

I agree , I've hives to move , i was going to do it this weekend but it's +10 c and there's been active bees yesterday I'll wait until another cold spell .
I wouldn't be to worried about twigs though

E
I would agree with the above but as a belt and braces attitude I would also put so brash up the front of the hives for the first few weeks or so with flying conditions just as a precaution

When i set my spot up it was made permanent... if i ever have to move them it will be roughly 70mile away...
Not much help to you though..but then again move your little darlings a mile away for winter or a Month then plonk them where you want them..

Last edited:
Back