Moving bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If I want to move a hive say 10 feet can I do can I do this by moving them 3 feet a day until in a new location or do I have to wait longer between each step?

If a single hive should be ok in daily moves - have you got a large pot plant that you can put next to the hive and move both together to give them their focal point?

Thanks,

Yes I could move a potted bay tree along with hive. Will try it.

If I want to move a hive say 10 feet can I

Choose a sunny day and move it with one move.

Morning is good but temp must be so that bees have time to find the new place of hive.

You may shake one frame bees in front of hive. They inform with their abdomen gland to where go.

If a single hive should be ok in daily moves - have you got a large pot plant that you can put next to the hive and move both together to give them their focal point?

Not needed "tricks from heaven". in 2 hours they know their way to ne entrance.

Not needed "tricks from heaven". in 2 hours they know their way to ne entrance

True. No bother really in moving them a couple metres at a time - BUT - common sense has to prevail. The three foot rule is to avoid the risks caused by those that don't think.

Prevailing weather conditions, time of day, topography, other colonies in close proximity(and possibly others) all need taking into account.

Think about the A/S procedure, when the hive could be moved a little more than the minimum, but all (nearly?) the flying bees will go to the old queen.

We recently moved two of our hives, probably 15 feet away, and it took us about 10 days. We moved them at night, when all the bees were back in and didn't have a problem at all. Obviously they were re-orientating every day but after 1/2 hours everything was back to normal.

We recently moved two of our hives, probably 15 feet away,

9 metres. I do it with one move. But I look from where the wind comes. It is a big advantage if the invitating odor from new site comes to old site.

It is long distance but bees find it if weather is good.

Bees inform others with Nasanow gland: here, come here...

http://images.search.conduit.com/Im...n=true&PageSource=Results&SSPV=&start=0&pos=3

Nasanov communication starts when you drop bees in front of hive from inner cover. They start to walk to the entrance and send odor of gland .

In evening bees are lazy to move and plenty will stay into lawn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back