Moving a hive now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I intended to move a hive about 10 metres from where it is now, but I've obviously not been quick enough, as it's been pretty warm here and they've been out and about. If I go ahead with the move now and put a large bush in front of the hive, I'm thinking they will re orientate themselves, as they don't seem to be flying far anyhow. Not all flying, and mostly seem to be hanging around and leaving the hive to poop etc. Don't think there's any forage about just yet, but I could be wrong.

Not practical to move 2 or 3 feet at a time due to the setup of the garden. If I do move them, would it be wise to place a small bait hive in the old location in case of Strayers? I really want to move them to the new location as it's more practical and more sheltered, and fenced off. Any other ideas how to move successfully?

Opinions welcomed please, thank you.

I intended to move a hive about 10 metres from where it is now, but I've obviously not been quick enough, as it's been pretty warm here and they've been out and about. If I go ahead with the move now and put a large bush in front of the hive, I'm thinking they will re orientate themselves, as they don't seem to be flying far anyhow. Not all flying, and mostly seem to be hanging around and leaving the hive to poop etc. Don't think there's any forage about just yet, but I could be wrong.

Not practical to move 2 or 3 feet at a time due to the setup of the garden. If I do move them, would it be wise to place a small bait hive in the old location in case of Strayers? I really want to move them to the new location as it's more practical and more sheltered, and fenced off. Any other ideas how to move successfully?

I moved a swarm in a Bait hive last year that had been in there a week, i moved it around 25yrds and most of the bees ended up going back to where the bait hive was originally placed with most of them found dead on the floor the next day, if i had to do it again it would be 3ft per day for me or several miles away as i was gutted seeing all the dead bees which was caused by me.

Millet? I understand your pain here but you didn't say if you put the proverbial obstacle over the entrance of your nuc/swarm? If not then well.. but if so that's another story.

Provided the entrance is covered with branches a move now should be perfectly fine.

PH

Wait for some cold or rain day and block them in for a few days, They are not that busy yet so won't harm them put a few branches infant when you do open the entrance won't do any harm,

Be patient, there's more winter to come yet. Getting colder later this week. 4 years ago we had 3ft snow here at the end of March.

When moving hives a short distance like this, I leave the hive on a sack truck or wheelbarrow which makes it a doddle to move a few feet at a time. Planks or a sheet of ply or whatever are useful if you need to cross soft ground or park on it.

Last edited:
When moving hives a short distance like this, I leave the hive on a sack truck or wheelbarrow which makes it a doddle to move a few feet at a time. Planks or a sheet of ply or whatever are useful if you need to cross soft ground or park on it.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Think I'll wait for the cold spell if there's one due then. Thanks all, much appreciated.

I tried the 'Branches over the entrance ' method 3 times up to now. I did each step in the method thoroughly and each time no success. Obviously other people have had success but not a trusted method in my book. I find it easier to drive them to a mates garden for a while before bringing them back to the new spot. It works faultlessly every time.

Get some help if you can and wear your bee suit as accidents can happen double strap the hive is good practice.

I tried the 'Branches over the entrance ' method 3 times up to now. I did each step in the method thoroughly and each time no success. Obviously other people have had success but not a trusted method in my book. I find it easier to drive them to a mates garden for a while before bringing them back to the new spot. It works faultlessly every time.

I've had to do this myself but bees have a very good memory so it needs to be left in the temporary address for a few weeks IMO. I moved one back to its new altered location at the original site after two weeks and the bees still returned (not all but a good handful) to the old position.

Move the hives during warm day that bees have time to find the new location of the hive.

When I do a artificial swarm, bees move from new place to old place during 3 days. Because hive bees do not visit outside every day.

If weathers are bad, like they are this time of year, bees come out, and when they want to return inside at once, they do not find their entrance. They will die outside.

Wait for some cold or rain day and block them in for a few days, They are not that busy yet so won't harm them put a few branches infant when you do open the entrance won't do any harm,

Huge.... Bees try to fly out in even in bad weather when they get drinking water.

That is the way how you can loose lots of bees. Weathers must be good when you you move that they have time to recolate the new site of the hive.

But the colony will survive even if it looses half of its bees. It is up to you what you believe.

Last edited:
moving bees

I moved a couple of colonies a few years ago from one side of the garden to the other approx. 50ft as the bee flies but unfortunately there were sheds in the way so I linked a series of ladders together and slid them along, moving the ladder sections as needed. works well but if going around corners at 90 degrees! you need to take extra care ! as I found out! but it works, move them every three days or so.

Dave

Thanks for the replies on this. I think I will move it gradually using some of the ideas posted, hopefully they can find their way back easy enough this way.

My landlord is planning to move his hives to a new location, under an open shed/Dutch barn type structure. A nice solution for those rainy inspections. The bees haven't stopped flying so he's shipping them out for a while, it's less fuss in the end.

Latest posts

Back