Moving a hive during the day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I have two hives at an out apiary, not too far from family homes. I want to move one of them (not pleasant bees)to another apiary out in the country.
The other apiary is in a field so I don't want to move at dusk.
Am I correct in thinking that if I move during the day any foragers that are left behind will be able to beg their way into the remaining hive?

Last edited:
Yes they would if the other hive is nearby but... better would be to close up the hive the evening before.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Yes, but I wouldn't be able to get back to them until midday the next day. I wouldn't want to leave them closed up for that long.

Pick a day when the bees are not going to be flying. Cold or rainy? They will be perfectly ok shut in for half a day

You may leave a small nuc on site , where flying bees can return.

I move my hives only during day. I can open the entrance at once in new place then and I can take transport mesh away.

Thanks Erica, that's reassured me, Finman, I could put a nuc there but I thought it would have been easier to let them beg their way into the other hive. Redwood, I don't think it's possible to move a hive without the twigs. I'm surprised that JBM hasn't patented them.

:D

I moved three hives 300 yds approximately last year. They were on OMF's and were closed late one evening land remained closed for three days. The bees are quite resilient and will be able to manage 24 hours of confinement. You have to make it easy for yourself and not to get too concerned for the bees as they often cannot fly for days in our climate. We tend to over think things.

Very simple, if it is likely to be too hot, fit a travelling screen (another OMF?). If they are already on an OMF, they will cope if the hive is well insulated. They are often closed for a day if spraying is going on.

Bees will only oveheat if there is insufficient ventilation. 3 foot, 3 mile rule applies and they will be accepted by a colony within about a metre. But weather conditions can dictate chances of finding another sanctuary if very cold or wet.

So likely best to leave a nuc or another box with frames where they can drop their loads of forage.

I only have foundation, no drawn frames, would that be OK?
I do intend to seal them in the night before but it's handy to know the answer to the original question.
Thanks all.
:thanks:

Latest posts

Back