Mouse guards on poly langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpenn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have changed some of my nationals over to poly langstroth hives this year [swienty] Does any one using the same hive use mouse guards I am not sure, but I think I have read somewhere you don't need to use them on this make of hive ?

That's my understanding too as confirmed by Poly Hive (im sure he'll be along soon too). The gap is only 1 beespace high hence why you dont need it on the swienty models.

You don't need them, but your floors are loose you need to put a thumb tack both sides of the floors to stop rodents going in under the hives & pushing up the open mesh floors. I got caught with it the first year I had them. No problem since

Not needed and the mesh SHOULD be secured with roofing clout nails.

But you knew that.....

PH

Our Swienty floors came with self-tapping screws for attaching the mesh.

There are at least two styles of floor/entrance. The two we have are both almost flat-fronted - nothing is proud of, or sticks out from, the front of the hive.

One has a ramp built into the polystyrene, the other just has the entrance on the outer face. The latter is, I think, 2 bee spaces high, the former is only one bee space at its shallowest. (If I've got time, I'll try to check tomorrow)

We've used strips of frame bottom bar to reduce the width of the shallower entrance, and have also reduced the other to only one bee space in height.

Our Swienty floors came with self-tapping screws for attaching the mesh

Mostly screwed in perpendicular. Better than nothing but not the best.

Longer screws than supplied are best for that worst scenario case, but not many would undestand what to do if the screws were longer than the thickness of the floor...

Murray and I use clout nails driven in at an angle to secure the floor.

PH

Our Swienty floors came with self-tapping screws for attaching the mesh

Mostly screwed in perpendicular. Better than nothing but not the best.

Longer screws than supplied are best for that worst scenario case, but not many would undestand what to do if the screws were longer than the thickness of the floor...

Are those the same people who have hive stands that happen to look like kitchen tables by any chance?? ;)

Latest posts

Back