Mouse guard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When do you remove the mouse guard? My hive was very busy today. Lots of bright yellow pollen going in. Is this a good sign that the hive has a queen? Just wondering when to remove guard?

Ihavent had any on hives just the entrance block in.. but iff i had them on i would be having them off by now..and regarding pollen going in the hive, any that arnt bringing pollen in i would be a bit worried and be having a look

Hi,
I remove the mouse guard beginning of April.
It's usually when weather warms springtime.
Others may do it earlier, I don't know.
Sharon

I removed my mouse guards today. Mouse mating season probably nigh so time to go looking for a mate rather than hunkering down in a beehive. Woodpecker guards removed last week. Wonderful to see lots of pollen entering 6/7 of my hives. I will have a strictly limited peep at bb tomorrow - expected temps 15C. Hopefully copious pollen = queen laying

I removed mine today as noticed foragers having trouble getting back through with all the pollen they were carrying.

And...if we have a cold snap of a few weeks (not unheard of) ?
I think the bast way round this annual conundrum is to have bee space slot entrances......like some poly hives..... so you never need that mouse guard.
My one wooden hive has a portcullis arrangement that doesn't interfere with pollen laden bees but I will change it to a slot entrance this year.

When do you remove the mouse guard? My hive was very busy today. Lots of bright yellow pollen going in. Is this a good sign that the hive has a queen? Just wondering when to remove guard?

Personally I would leave it on for a few weeks yet.

Pollen is nice to see but is not a reliable indicator of a useful queen.
Cazza

Have never needed to use a mouse-guard. Plenty of em in the shed, the entrances are restricted to @ 8X20mm over winter. if there was any signs of mice then I'd put them on but been lucky so far!

May take a first peek tomorrow, if the weather is as forecast????:nature-smiley-014:

There are mice in my garden - found one drowned in a bucket ...

But I took off the mouseguards from my two busiest hives today.
One mouseguard had a queen bumble (Hypnorum, I think) stuck trying to get in!
Stuck some fondant on a nuc - winter isn't over just yet.

But tomorrow is forecast to be the warmest of this spell, so I'm hoping to take the opportunity to have a quick look through the hives and see what's what.
I'll probably alter the guarding on a couple of other hives.

Idid use them the first year now in my 6 th year.. i do put some mouse traps under hives and catch quite a few. i suppose ive been lucky, but my mate with 45 colonies has never used them either and he has been keeping bees for ten years now . only had a mouse in once

Hi all,
I am in the too early camp. Mice still get in this time of the year and contaminate the hives. RBI in one talk was presented with the evidence and expressed concern over veil's decease which is caused by rat/mice urine.

Doesn't that only affect the veil, though?
:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back