More space needed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a very very strong colony,( for this time of year) over wintered on double brood. They hefted light a few weeks ago and I have been feeding fondant, which they are readily taking. Added more fondant yesterday, to find they had built a fair amount of comb in the eke. Suggests to me they need more space?
Am reluctant to add another box at this time of year. Thought of swapping places with a weaker colony, but would prefer them to be flying more regularly before I do.
What would you do?

What would you do?

You say that they're in a double brood. Often they are in the top box this time of year (because it is warmer at the top) and the bottom box is empty or contains a little food they didn't eat. If this is the case, you could reverse the boxes so the bottom box is moved to the top.
A word of caution though: it may technically be spring but the weather is still pretty cold. If they move up into a cold box and they have a little brood in the bottom, that could get chilled.

I have a very very strong colony,( for this time of year) over wintered on double brood. They hefted light a few weeks ago and I have been feeding fondant, which they are readily taking. Added more fondant yesterday, to find they had built a fair amount of comb in the eke. Suggests to me they need more space?
Am reluctant to add another box at this time of year. Thought of swapping places with a weaker colony, but would prefer them to be flying more regularly before I do.
What would you do?

How have you arranged the fondant and the eke? I place fondant in an inverted tupperware type container above a feed hole in the crownboard. The bees can access the fondant but not the eke space. I'm guessing you have put a slab of fondant on the top bars and the eke space is open to all. As it's warm and convenient for the food the bees are optimizing their surroundings. More than likely there's plenty of room to expand downwards.
If you have omf use a mirror to look from underneath would be my suggestion.

I would not manipulate the boxes/colony at this time of year. If they don't have enough space in a double brood box in early March then you need to change the queen as she is laying out of control!

You say that they're in a double brood. Often they are in the top box this time of year (because it is warmer at the top) and the bottom box is empty or contains a little food they didn't eat. If this is the case, you could reverse the boxes so the bottom box is moved to the top.
A word of caution though: it may technically be spring but the weather is still pretty cold. If they move up into a cold box and they have a little brood in the bottom, that could get chilled.

This was my thinking too. As the hive is hefting light, there must be plenty of space. If it was not so early and cold I would investigate or rearrange.
What about swapping places with a weaker hive?
Yes , I put fondant straight on top of top bars.

What about swapping places with a weaker hive?

I don't think this would help you at this time of year. It relies on flying bees returning to their original location to depopulate the strong colony but, at this time of year, the bees aren't really flying much.
I suspect that the bottom box will have plenty of space in so you won't need to worry

Thanks B+ . Confirmed my line of thinking, but good to have an experienced opinion, as was not sure. I will leave them be, and just clear up the brace comb later on.

It's cold they won't be bothering with the bottom box.
Radical idea but they may be building comb to store the fondant because the top box is full. Try picking the top box up instead of hefting.

How have you arranged the fondant and the eke? I place fondant in an inverted tupperware type container above a feed hole in the crownboard. The bees can access the fondant but not the eke space. I'm guessing you have put a slab of fondant on the top bars and the eke space is open to all. As it's warm and convenient for the food the bees are optimizing their surroundings. More than likely there's plenty of room to expand downwards.
If you have omf use a mirror to look from underneath would be my suggestion.

yes I would agree with above if they need more space they can put supplies in lower box and have no access to the eke this way

I had this happen to me a few years ago, never again! - they had built up so much brace comb it was entirely covering the underneath of the crown-board (all x5 colonies did the same).

I then devised a cunning plan to put the crown-board on (so the holes spread the most combs) and filled above it with Kingspan / Cellotex insulation in the eke, with a rectangular hole cut out to allow a plastic takeaway box which I put my fondant in.

It keeps the top of the hive warm, the bees are pretty much always at the top then (where the fondant is), and they haven't got a chance to build any brace comb, and I can clearly see if they need topping up when I lift the roof without actually opening the hive. Now all my colonies are set up like this and it works for me....

Photos available if anyone wants to do the same next Autumn......

Last edited:
There will be a transition shortly of old for new bees and and depending on what is available to them will decide on if the colony will dwindle, until pollen and nectar start coming in I would leave well alone.

There will be a transition shortly of old for new bees and and depending on what is available to them will decide on if the colony will dwindle, until pollen and nectar start coming in I would leave well alone.

Good sound advice in my opinion ... leave well alone for the time being.

What would you do?

The weaker colony might be thus because it's diseased and therefore contaminate the stronger. Moreover it's not easy to move a double brood colony without separating the two boxes or doing-in your back - even though I know you to be a strong lad Drex - when we last met anyway.

Latest posts

Back