More nasty little tealeaves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just heard that last night, 4 hives were stolen from our association apiary near Bournemouth. They were fairly new cedar 14 x 12's made by David Pearce, and therefore have OMF floors with shallow entrances, and double-sided crownboards with an oversize space on one side.

If anyone hears a sniff of such hives appearing unexpectedly, or is offered such for sale, please would they let me know?

Sorry to hear that Skyhook. Four hives in one night seems an organised, planned theft. The ba5tards knew what they were doing.

Was the apiary very remote and were these 'newer' hives than the ones left behind, assuming they didn't take every hive?

A sad society we live in!!

I hope they are caught. Sad that even hives aren't safe now.
I take it that there was no bees in them, how would they have known that, if they were taken at night.

Disgusting.
Hope none of them were yours Skyhook :(

All too common here in Hampshire ... Sounds like the thieves may be extending their area - probably Hampshire Beekeepers getting wise to it and making it difficult for thieves in their out apiaries ! Very sad state of affairs ... was it the equipment or bees they were after ?

Five sheds on our allotment site broken into a week or so ago .... thieves knew what they were after - better quality tools taken, strimmers and two full sacks of onions. Took a rotovator but only got it as far as the fence and either got disturbed or couldn't lift it over ... B****ds !! Our perimeter fence is over 6' high and topped with barbed wire - used a pile of pallets in a neighbouring yard to get over ...

Four in one go - pretty obviously organised, rather than an opportunist theft.

Earlier in the year Norfolknchance claimed to have invented the perfect solution to thefts. I used to believe in the Tooth Fairy too.

I only wish there were some effective way of preventing this sort of thing.

LJ

All you can do is make it more difficult for the thieves ... ground anchors set in a bucket full of concrete in the ground, chains and padlocks seem to be the best option. I know the persistent thief will find a way round this but it's a deterrent ... Large brands on the boxes may stop the equipment thieves but I think it's usually the bees they are after.

Four in one go - pretty obviously organised, rather than an opportunist theft...
It's an opportunity to learn what is attractive to (this particular bunch of) thieves. If it made them money, they'll be back here or elsewhere. Anything else they had in common?
  • If they were other hives on site that were not disturbed, that's an idea that they knew what they could use or sell on. A set of 4 identical newish hives is a viable sale to a starter (or two).
  • You say "fairly new" cedar, were they the newest boxes on site? Easiest to get to or actually the best colonies (which argues some knowledge)?
  • Is the site easy to drive up to? Any vehicle evidence or witnesses the police might be interested in?
  • Any security that was bypassed? Cut chains/locks, fences broken down?
  • Marked in any way? What might we be looking out for?

Thanks guys. They all had bees in, and it was definitely planned. The apiary is not remote, but you are unlikely to come across it by accident.

It would be great if we did catch them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Were the frames or hives marked in any way?

The only half-way 'feasible' idea (from an anti-thief perspective) I've had, is to group hives together, and fit a 'tiger cage' over them. Sans tigers of course :) (Hmmm - on the other hand ... )

The sides would need to hinge down, and the spacing between bars around 16", so than nothing could be pulled out between them. The base fixed to the ground with screw-anchors, and a removable top with boxed padlocks.
It would be necessary to keep the height of all hives the same, with the cage top resting on them.

Wouldn't stop a determined thief with an angle grinder or hydraulic jack of course - but then, what would ?

Cost ? Maybe £300 (just guessing) - to protect (say) 10 hives ... Dunno if there's a kernel of an idea there ?

LJ

Last edited:
What about: Cemented in bar from floor that goes up through the hive to a padlock within the bee area. So that any attempts at cutting padlock off involves getting into the bees. Although I spose if you're determinded to get bees and hives then that might not bother you that much.

The only half-way 'feasible' idea (from an anti-thief perspective) I've had, is to group hives together, and fit a 'tiger cage' over them. Sans tigers of course :) (Hmmm - on the other hand ... )...
A lot depends on working out what the theft was for. If it's to sell on as complete newish hives at the highest price, then there are options. Make the existing hardware easy to identify and less attractive to a purchaser, i.e. harder to sell because marking is obvious, brands, stamps, painting. Even using an unusual format hive might deter.

Otherwise, anything that physically makes it harder to get the hive away would help. Cages, fences, external chains, ground anchors, weights and hasp/padlocks are possible, but all breakable. Secure padlocks on gates to tracks preventing vehicle access can stop or at least delay access. A bee house, where only the entrance is external is one measure. Or make the hive harder to move without dismantling or destroying it; internal chains or brackets, screw the base to the stand.

If they want only the bees and are prepared to transfer to new hives there's far less you can do. ITLD wrote about a thief over many years who helped themselves to hives and burnt all the woodwork. They are already prepared to put quite an effort in, and they may not even be looking to sell the colony. You're into trail cameras and regular patrols to catch or deter thieves. You might succeed in making your bees harder to take than somebody else's; scant consolation.

Sorry to hear about the theft. My heart sinks every time one is reported.
I would be beside myself.......

I received an email from my association forwarding a questionnaire from somebody wanting colony loss information for a research project.
The first question was where are your hives and the second asked for a grid reference!!!:svengo:

Sorry to hear about the theft. My heart sinks every time one is reported.
I would be beside myself.......

I received an email from my association forwarding a questionnaire from somebody wanting colony loss information for a research project.
The first question was where are your hives and the second asked for a grid reference!!!:svengo:

Oh Dear ... isn't it a sad day when you are frightened to let people know where you keep your hives ?

I'm pretty happy for people to know that mine is in the back garden ... if any thieves get past the attack Labrador (who has form for very threatening behaviour when confronted by unknown persons on 'His' property) then they will need at least four people or a fork lift truck to lift it !! Good luck ....

We have security lights and a madman to contend with...I'm scared of burglars and have a cutdown cricket bat for self defence.

"Please your Honour he had a kitchen knife in his hand.... and here it is.."

We have security lights and a madman to contend with...I'm scared of burglars and have a cutdown cricket bat for self defence.

"Please your Honour he had a kitchen knife in his hand.... and here it is.."

That's a bit like the old sailing adage ' the quickest pump on the boat is a frightened man with a bucket !'.. In your case Mike ... the most dangerous man on board is a frightened man with a Cricket bat !!!

Word of caution, if you keep a baseball or cricket bat for protection purposes always keep the appropriate ball as well. Then you can't be accused of premeditation, because you keep the bat & ball for recreation and it was just the nearest thing to grab for protection.

This was from a police SOCO who came to my home after I had my barn burgled for tools etc.

................. the burglar accidentally swallowed the ball and it lodged in his throat m'ud - I had to hit him five times over the back of his head with my bat before I dislodged it, unfortunately it shot out of his mouth and went I know not where.

Latest posts

Back