Module 8.25 Social Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
ok I've chosen Vespula vulgaris

a few questions on bits i cannot get info on are

1) Queen wasps have a single mating not multiple matings like Apis M,am I correct
2) Worker wasps police unfertilised eggs of other wasp workers,so assume that worker egg laying is suppressed by queen wasps pheromones, is that correct
3)i thought in Apis m policing was a half sister effect by A M multiple mating ,so how in wasps if single mating?

4) use of paper brood cells , I have two conflicting books, one says wasps use brood cells only once as you find only one fecal pellet in cells whereas the other says initially brood cells are reused, which is correct

Last edited:
1. yes

2 and 3. I am not clear re. this. My book says that workers lay eggs and that some of these develop into males, usually at the edge of the nest (presumably away from the q. pheromone). It also says they often eat the worker laid eggs when there is a dearth of food.

4. Re-use as far as I see. In the book is an illustration of comb showing "typical round shape and cyclic arrangements of the successive broods. Three generations have been reared in the central empty cells."

1. yes

2 and 3. I am not clear re. this. My book says that workers lay eggs and that some of these develop into males, usually at the edge of the nest (presumably away from the q. pheromone). It also says they often eat the worker laid eggs when there is a dearth of food.

4. Re-use as far as I see. In the book is an illustration of comb showing "typical round shape and cyclic arrangements of the successive broods. Three generations have been reared in the central empty cells."

thanks,

Latest posts

Back