Modifying a Paynes Polyhive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Anyone have a good technique for removing the wall between the main brood area and the feeder? I'm converting my to 7 frame nucs.

Pictures of the finished article would be useful too.

Thanks

Use a multi tool, makes the job very easy and use a part of the section taken out to fill the gaps left.

Anyone have a good technique for removing the wall between the main brood area and the feeder? I'm converting my to 7 frame nucs.

Pictures of the finished article would be useful too.

Thanks

Yes. I've converted all my Paynes poly nucs to 8 frame. Using a pad saw to saw down either side of the feeder to the bottom. I then heat up an old long carving knife with my blowlamp and just run all along the bottom with the hot knife. It takes minutes. I cut the piece I've taken out slightly larger than the recess left on either side.
The trick now is to just warm one side with the blowlamp careful not to burn it. It will shrink slightly and taper fit into the rear of the shaped recess. Glue in with solvent free no more nails. Any excess then trim off with a hot knife.

Yes. I've converted all my Paynes poly nucs to 8 frame. Using a pad saw to saw down either side of the feeder to the bottom. I then heat up an old long carving knife with my blowlamp and just run all along the bottom with the hot knife. It takes minutes. I cut the piece I've taken out slightly larger than the recess left on either side.
The trick now is to just warm one side with the blowlamp careful not to burn it. It will shrink slightly and taper fit into the rear of the shaped recess. Glue in with solvent free no more nails. Any excess then trim off with a hot knife.

Yep ... more or less exactly the same as I did it ...then filled the gaps with car body filler,

Multi tool does the job easily, however I also use a Tenon saw and a Stanley knife, as previously stated the piece that comes out can be trimmed to fit in the gap. I had to cut a taper on the back edge for it to fit the slightly tapered wall, I used 'Polyurethane' glue (the foaming type) to stick the piece in and fill the gaps, cut it off when it cured and then sanded it. It make it an 8 frame Nuc, very handy if the bees are not quiet ready for a full size hive like this time of the year.

Back