Mini nuc, virgin queen, refill or no refill?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcavebees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Had a mini nuc robbed out by wasps I brought home from out apirary a week ago. I thought it was empty and the wasps had totally cleaned it.

Opened it today to find about 10 bees and what i think is a virgin queen, about 2-3 weeks old.

My question is, can I either cage her and a few of those left, refill the mini nuc - will they accept her and also if she has flown will she reoriantate?

Or should I spray her with sugar water, spray a new batch of bees from one of my supers and throw them in together and let them get on with it?

Or is it too late?

Had a mini nuc robbed out by wasps I brought home from out apirary a week ago. I thought it was empty and the wasps had totally cleaned it.

Opened it today to find about 10 bees and what i think is a virgin queen, about 2-3 weeks old.

My question is, can I either cage her and a few of those left, refill the mini nuc - will they accept her and also if she has flown will she reoriantate?

Or should I spray her with sugar water, spray a new batch of bees from one of my supers and throw them in together and let them get on with it?

Or is it too late?

My advice, scat them away and start next year.

I never think it is too late to try, you just never know, and if it doesn't work you can always throw it away next year!

Back