mini mating nucs - comb in feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Enough
I've got a couple of spare queens, so thought I would see if I could overwinter them in 2 poly mini mating nucs.

These are are shown below - 3 frames and a feeder area separated by a queen excluder.

I put the queens with bees in there a couple of weeks ago, with food in feeder section. Took a look today, and in one, the bees had eaten enough of the sugar to build comb in the feeder rather than draw out the frames in the main body. Most of the bees had managed to squeeze into the feeder, leaving the queen in the main part. She was desperately trying to squeeze through the excluder to be with the rest of the bees.

Any suggestions as to prevent comb in the feeder?

The other mini nuc was fine, having drawn out the mini combs and doing what they should do.

IN-140-NEW1_1024x1024.jpg

I had two mini nucs this season and both did the same when I fed them fondant; but they built the cells into the fondant. Did you try some sugar syrup? Did you add starter strips to the frames?

As for overwintering; I'm not sure if it will be viable? For my Apidea I have a spare brood box box and asforth feeder which allows the smaller feeder to be removed to give two extra frames and another five above.

Last edited:
I overwinter queens in Kielers and mu own mini mating ucs - with LOTS of insulation. I find that keeing feeders full of fondant prevents them drswing comb...if neccessary roll fondant into a cyclinders and place vertically in feeders - saves filling the entire feeder.
When still active, need to refill feeders every two weeks.. in winter every month,

Mine survived the Beast from the East.

I had damp sugar in the feeders to begin with. They built comb into that.

The mini frames had wax foundation added to the top, to get them going. They ignored that.

So I removed everything from the feeder and filled it completely with fondant.

The plan is to heavily insulate these mini nucs (150mm+ celotex 360 degree wrap - with an angled entrance (to stop direct winds into them) and a feeder port.

I actually filled 3 mini-nucs, however when I looked in the 3rd today, it was totally empty - no bees at all. So no idea what happened to them.

I've got a couple of spare queens, so thought I would see if I could overwinter them in 2 poly mini mating nucs.

You might be interested in this video, 40 seconds in,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oz6J8u6dJw

I have banked Queens for a couple of weeks, it was quite simple for those two summer weeks. But this guy seems to know his stuff, my feeling (not based on any experience) is that Queens would fair better in a good strong colony looking after them, than a handful of bees... just make sure you use plenty of insulation, you don't want them clustering and moving away from the queen cages - but I think you've worked that out already :)

If anyone else has experience of Queen banking, especially during winter months any thoughts would be helpful and appreciated.

So today, I moved the 2 mini mating 'nuc' queens into a full 14x12 6-frame nuc. Split the nuc down the middle to create 2 x 3-frame nucs. Gave them fondant, and wrapped them in a 150mm celotex full cosy (sides and top). Frames were already half filled with pollen and stores with room to lay.

So, will see if they survive over winter.

In poly mini nucs the bees will move into a feeder if empty or partially empty when the temperature drops.
This is to take advantage of the extra insulation provided by the feeder compartment.
Either remove the feeder and fill out with frames of stores or remove the feeder and replace with a bolster.
By leaving the feeder in even if partially filled with fondant the bees will migrate into it, leaving the queen behind the integrated excluder where she will perish.

I have overwintered apideas inside a poly Nuc with the entrances lined up, and fondant stashed next to the Apidea entrance (inside the Nuc) after all chances of robbing were over. They were fine.

I have overwintered apideas inside a poly Nuc with the entrances lined up, and fondant stashed next to the Apidea entrance (inside the Nuc) after all chances of robbing were over. They were fine.

That's a brilliant idea! I like the idea of the mini Nuc inside the standard one, could even pack it out with fibre insulation.

The mating nuc shown in the OP original picture, is I believe a Chinese one being sold on eBay. I have a few of them and although they are good and I have raised som enice queens in them, the polystyrene isn't as dense as the genuine Apidea.
I wouldnt want to try and over-winter queens in one, even in the warmest SW.
S

Back