Mike Palmers late winter cluster!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me or did anyone else marvel at the size of that ice cream scoop :sifone:

I agree Chris.

I totally disagree with Mr Palmer though on the matter of cold. There is a massive difference between dry cold and wet.

PH

In snow countries it is recommended to pile snow around the hives, that it protects against cold. But then we got winters, that we did not have enough snow to pile. I noticed that bees over winter better without snow heap.

Most of the time that snow is wet and is keeps the hives moist. There were much more ded bees on floor.

And actually we can use snow shelter only 2-1,5 months. It does not help hives.

Then we have wind factor. I use geo textile 3 months which it protects against cold wind and birds.

But much depends on you, how you arrange the things. You cannot change the climate.

Old rubbish proverb says, "cold does not kill but moisture does".... Holy chip, why don't arrange things so that boath things are in condition. For example prepare leaking roof.

But I wonder Palmer's colony strengt. Propably he has had 2 queens. One under excluder and another one over excluder. Double double brood hive.

Mike Palmer uses double nucs as well so no need to double queen on these single hives.
I have seen quite a few video's from his apiary's and have come accustomed to seeing them bursting at the seams with bees

Mike Palmer uses double nucs as well so no need to double queen on these single hives.
I have seen quite a few video's from his apiary's and have come accustomed to seeing them bursting at the seams with bees

Double nuc is only one devided langstroh box. That is an ordinary hive.

Bees are bursting if you select such hive to your video.

But much depends on you, how you arrange the things. You cannot change the climate.

I think it mostly depends on the bees, and not necessarily how you arrange things. For years I've been selecting my breeders to winter with large clusters, and that's what they do. No matter whether it's a very cold winter like last year, or an unusually warm winter like the one we just came out of, most come through is great shape. Difference in years is...in a cold, severe winter, I get help from Nature with selection. She does a better job than I ever could.

I think it mostly depends on the bees, and not necessarily how you arrange things. .

What ever, but your colony was strong after winter in the video.

However you must arrange things in those circumstancies what you have. You cannot blame all the time the climate what you have.

You can call it beekeeping skills or what ever.

There is also std langs with large colonies i was not directly referring to the nucs themselves

However you must arrange things in those circumstancies what you have. You cannot blame all the time the climate what you have.

No where have I read him blaming climate.

Mr P keep up the good work and don't listen to the crazy guy from Finłand. I like seeing your videos.

Don't worry, he offends everyone sooner or later.
He isn't the only one!

I'd call it beekeeping skills, no need for the 'whatever'!

Latest posts

Back