Mike Palmer nuc method for UK national size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I reject that lot. One roof for a two poly nucs... come on please.

Stability? All mine have a brick on as a tell tale apart from anything else.

Must be Jan eh. Boredom is setting in.

PH

Sorry but I reject that lot. One roof for a two poly nucs... come on please.

Stability? All mine have a brick on as a tell tale apart from anything else.

Must be Jan eh. Boredom is setting in.

PH

Why not just accept that there are other ways and not just your own? What is rejected as nuts by you may be very convenient for others...

No 6.
Because some guy on a forum reckons it's rubbish? ;)

Of course there are other ways but if said ways are a bit silly the fingers itch don't they Steve?

On another place a yank was moaning that mini nucs were too small. *grins* He just did not or could nor understand the concept.

In my view poly nucs are designed to be free-standing. I honestly see no benefit in having them leaning against each other. They come with roofs, or as far as I understand it they do.

If the location is really windy I would suggest screwing a couple of battens to them to extend out further and improve the standing of them. Some of mine are like that. Not for wind but to raise them slightly for ventilation.

PH

Abelo sell Maisemore nucs as they haven't developed their own yet.

Best thing to do is buy the BS Honey Bees nucs and buy the Maisemore brood chambers, they have a sale on during February so I plan to get a few more then. Someone linked Black Mountains Honey video earlier where he showed a simple modification to change the brood chambers to top bee space.

Looks like Abelo have there own National nuc now

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/polystyrene-nucleus/abelo-national-poly-6-frame-nucleus/

Out of stock, nos side feeder and that tinware will rust like hell in a seaside environment!

I tried a few of their similar looking commercial nucs and they're pigs to use, not enough ventilation for travelling, annoying headspace and perplexing inaccessible channels for the queen to hide in.

I tried a few of their similar looking commercial nucs and they're pigs to use, not enough ventilation for travelling, annoying headspace and perplexing inaccessible channels for the queen to hide in.

Careful ! I got blasted for slating them. Their commercialnucs are just an ill thought out conversion of their langstroth nucs. It was back to maismores commercials for me.

It’s not a moulded unit but looks like panels....and still the same price!

Yes you can remove the floor I have two of them.

If you don't mind I've got another question. The thread is a little confusing for me. Can you put two nucs brood boxes over an Abelo brood box and under a single roof?

No the nuc boxes will not fit under the roofs they are six frame nuc boxes I just use mine as single boxes.

No the nuc boxes will not fit under the roofs they are six frame nuc boxes I just use mine as single boxes.

I use poly nucs as single boxes as well, with the extra brood boxes you get I don't need complicated hive setups. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back