Microscopy and Nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now Fumidil B is off the market, are there any recommended products to treat nosema with.
I have read on here, perhaps Thymol, 'Hive Clean' and Comb change. Are these known to help nosema, and are there any alternatives?
Thank you.

Same also available (well I got some) from nat bee supp....... near Okehampton.

Now Fumidil B is off the market, are there any recommended products to treat nosema with.
I have read on here, perhaps Thymol, 'Hive Clean' and Comb change. Are these known to help nosema, and are there any alternatives?
Thank you.

I don't think Hiveclean is designed for Nosema. Perhaps you meant Nosevit?
Cazza

Manley suggests Thymolated syrup kept his bees free of the Dwindling Disease (Nosema Apis)....which is similar to the Hivemaker thymolated syrup...see sticky post

what else, well Nozevit has come out in some tests as good as formadil b but it cannot be sold as a nosema killer just a tonic...others Vitafeed Gold, Hive Alive and probably many more. Nozevit did not seem to work though for one on my beekeeper friends

BUT if you have it, I suggest you need to change all your brood comb in spring to stop re infection

Nosema Ceranae, well who knows if you have that as it looks similar to nosema apis under themicro...but that seems to be more agrressive and a summer form of Nosema

Most of he treatment appears to be an irritant that cause the bees guts to secrete additional mucus, that stops the microporidian multiplying

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your replies. I am not aware that my bees have nosema, as they haven't been tested yet. But I am attempting the microscopy exam, and needed to know what are the best treatments, should nosema be diagnosed, so thanks. Ruary, would you keep comb that you know has been used by bees with nosema, after a comb change?

Latest posts

Back