Metal Candle Mould

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a metal candle mould from the the suppliers beginning withTh? I brought a lovely hexagonal mould, but the hole to put the thread through is ever so small. The mould is about 2 inches wide, so I wanted to use quite a thick wick. Just wondering if I need to drill the hole out bigger, or whether I am missing something. Can't think they would make it with too small a hole to put a suitable size thread through. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Not a candle maker, and thinking outside the box a bit here, but how 'low' does the wick need to go? To the bottom or through it? If the wick will not go through the hole tie/fix on something a little thinner, that will go through?

As you probably know a small wick may leave a shell above the burn (burning too slowly and not enough heat to melt all the candle) and a too thick one will cause 'runs' down the outside through burning too hot, so the candle may have a much shorter burn time. Wick size for a beeswax candle may well be different than for a tallow offering.

RAB

Last edited:
Just checked and I think a number five wick is what you need. Best you check for yourself.

Lightly wax a piece long enough and when this has hardened it'll help with getting it through the hole. Make one end pretty pointy before it sets. Wick tends to be put through the bottom of the mould.

It's important that the wick is positioned fairly centrally down the length of the candle.

Last edited:
I think that I did order the correct wick size, but I will check tomorrow. I made one tonight, by just inserting the end of the wick in the hole, but ideally the bottom end in the mould is usually best and ends up being the top, so it needs a wick standing up. If I don't turn it upside down, I'll have to try and get a good finish at the top during manufacture! Hope you can understand my gobblygook!

Kinda got your drift.

Having inserted the wick from the bottom, trim the wick with about five mm remaining outside. After extraction, dip this bit of wick in molten wax and it should light nicely.

That is if you can catch my drift; smile.

Be aware that info on wicking is usually related to paraffin wax and NOT beeswax, and the difference is quite considerable in burning the candle.

PH

I have got the Number 6 wick from TH..... which is for a 2" candle, so slightly too big, as this candle is 1 and 3/4 " actually. But even the small wick, size 2 for a 1" candle won't go through the hole. So I think I'll have to drill the hole a little larger, but didn't want to do that, as I thought it would have been supplied with the correct hole for the wick, but as you say, it is probably a multi-purpose candle mould, which can be used by people making candles from other wax, which would need a smaller wick.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced similar problems, and didn't really want to drill a bigger hole, if I was making a mess of things!

Just wondered if anyone had experienced similar problems, and didn't really want to drill a bigger hole, if I was making a mess of things!

Are you using a wicking needle to pull it through?

Adam

Hi Adam,
No, I didn't know there were such things. Is that where I am going wrong....but I don't think a needle big enough to take the wick would go through the hole either. Or is a wicking needle something special?

Does anyone have a metal candle mould from the the suppliers beginning withTh?....... Can't think they would make it with too small a hole to put a suitable size thread through. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

have you phoned them and asked for advise? they seem to be pretty approachable on the phone.

Not yet. I thought I'd try you lot first, as usually there is someone out there who has had the problem previously, or who can tell me where I am going wrong. I will do that before I start drilling bigger holes!

have you phoned them and asked for advise? they seem to be pretty approachable on the phone.

I think this is the best suggestion. Wicking Needles are about 100mm long, (search for Wicking Needle on google for more information) however I've never used one on a metal mould.

Adam

Success. My son drilled out a bigger hole for me, and it is working fine, although the surface of the candle is not very smooth, unlike the silicone moulds I have used previously. I did contact TH.. a couple of days ago, and they said they would ring back, but never did. I expect they are busy getting ready for their sale, whilst we get busy for honey shows. I think I would buy a silicone mould in the future, as the metal creates such a rough surface. One candle got really stuck, but the next one I used the silicone spray with and things went better, but I would prefer a smoother finish.
Thanks for all your help, folks.

I have some wax I was planning on making into candles. I didn't realise it was quite so complicated. Best I go and read up on it, I guess.

James

It really is quite easy to make candles....you can even use various household pots, etc, such as good yoghurt pots, denture tablet containers, and I quite like the cheap screwball ice cream containers, which are tapered. Pirce the bottom of the pot. You do need the tight sized wick for the thickness of the candle though, and I don't know any 'shops' that sell wick, so you really need to order that on line.
Melt the wax in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and dip the wick in it. Carefully wipe the excess wax off the wick with your finger and thumb.....maybe waiting a few minutes as it is very hot.
Thread the wick through the hole and secure with bluetac, and secure the other end in the middle of the open end of the vessel, by wrapping around a cocktail stick.
Pour in the liquid wax and leave to set. A short spell in the freezer can help the candle out of plastic containers or you can spray with silicon spray prior to putting the wax in. I don't think it helps to put metal moulds in the freezer though!
I think that is about it, although someone will no doubt add a bit more if I have forgotten anything! Cut your wicks longer than the mould, so that they stick out at both ends. I made some wax polish today...a very simple recipe, but it is doing a good job polishing wood.

Well, I needed to purchase a few bits and pieces from the purveyors of honey production supplies to the gentry who's name rhymes with "horns" today, so I've added some releasing agent, wick and a simple mould to the order. We shall see how it goes.

Doubtless whatever happens it will involve being told off for making a mess of the kitchen. I don't understand it. My mere presence in the kitchen seems to call into existence a degree of mess and disarray hitherto thought impossible without the aid of small children. I have already been instructed that a honey house will be required next year and I've not even started creaming the OSR honey yet.

James

Latest posts

Back