Mead Recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

Did a search on mead in the forum but it came up with 1 answer with little or no reference to making the gear.

Does anyone have a mead recipe?

Busy Bee

Last edited:
Hi, if you search mead you'll find plenty of references. Many of the basic wine making books have mead recipes as well as brother adams 'beekeeping at Buckfast'. Never made any myself so can't offer hands on advice.

Hi

Have just made some in the last month ,it was my first year with bees so did not have loads of honey (7 Lds)and did not want to use all of it for mead but did this economy recipe.Its called Cyser as it includes a lot of apple juice.

3 litres apple juice
1\4 tspn citric acid
pinch of tanin
yeast and nutrients
1 ld of sugar
1 ld of honey
1 vitamin b tablet

ferment until dry and star? clear

I have 9 months to wait to see if it is good :)or not :(

Available on-line fron Northern books with loads other meade recipes.

Made a visit to Buckfast Abbey to buy some of their meade but no honey no meade :(

Good luck
Stephen

Thank you for the receipe.

I wonder with quite alot of cider would this be proper meade or honey tasted cider?

Ooo what nutrients?

Busy Bee

Yes your right Veg lbs i meant to much mead or rather gooseberry wine ,very good it is to.

Stephen

Its from a mead book but as i say 1st year so didnt want to use a lot of honey in the mead so Cyser seemed to be the answer. Would rather it wasnt like cider as i am not fussed on it but will let you know in a year lol

Stephen

Heat 1 gallon of water, and put in 3lbs honey, stirring to dissolve it. Simmer for about 30 minutes or so, removing scum if it appears. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbsp activated yeast and a sliced lemon. Cover tightly and leave in warm place for 4 - 5 days. Transfer to demi-john (remove lemon) and ferment out. Bottle in strong bottles, and store at elast a year before trying.

this is off the river cottage forum

Wash a honey bucket, after bottling the honey, carefully with 75cl of water and pour the resulting swill into a PET bottle and try stop it fermenting if you will.

The first recipe isn't mead....which is purely fermented honey and water with no other flavouring ingredients. The second recipe would be better with some tannin added. Mead tends towards being insipid without it. Tannin adds astringency. You can buy powdered tannin (made from grape pips) or add a cup of strong tea.

Nutrients are added to help the yeast continue to ferment.

Frisbee

I got a nice simple recipe for mead of MuswellMetro on this forum a good few weeks ago.

I like it as it is simple and so far its looking good. One of the two gallons is starting to clear nicely almost time to get the straw out for a little pre taste.

3.5 lbs Honey
1 Gallon Water
1 Lime
Wine Yeast
Yeast Nutrient

Chop and lightly crush the lemon into fermenting bucket.

Pour about two pints of boiling water over the lemon and stir. (supposed to be blanched)

Add the honey and about 3/4 of the remaining water, the water can be warm to help dissolve the honey.

Check the level with a hydrometer and adjust to 1.100 by adding more honey or water. (the 3.5lbs was very close to 1.100 on the hidromiter)

When the must is lukewarm add the yeast and yeast nutrient

Cover and leave in a warm place for three days, and stir every day.

Remove the pieces of lime and put the liquid into a demijohn and fit an air lock to seal the jar.

When the fermentation has ceased rack the mead into a clean jar and leave to continue fermentation.

As others have said, use of apple juice and honey fermented make cyser, fruit and honey makes melomel. Mead is just fermented honey.

First requirement is good sterilised equipment.
Second you need to decide if you will sterilise your must before the addition of your chosen yeast, and then if you will sterilise using heat(some argue that changes the flavours and aromas of the honey too much,) or chemically by addition of campden tablet. This would mean you will have to leave the honey water mix for 24-48 hours before adding your activated yeast to the must so the the Sulphur dioxide has time to do its work and then disipate. Or if you want to risk fermenting without sterilisation of the must and risk wild yeast ruining your mead.

Next question is how sweet do you want the finished mead to be. The following is for a dry mead. More honey needed for a sweet mead and it has to be fed into the must in stages as the Specific gravity drops down to a level of 1.005 add 1/2 lb of honey to must, keep doing that until yeast stops being able to ferment the sugar out as the acolhol level stops the yeast from working. this feeding methed is used to ensure the yeast can cope with the level of sugar at anyone time present in the must.

3lbs of honey or alternatively the washings of your cappings and extraction equipment and adjust the specific gravity to around the 1.1 mark but adding water or honey as required. I use washings and for that reason feel its advisable to sterilise the must and personally use the campden tab method.

Put your must in a sterilised bucket with 1 crushed campden tab/gal of must. Add yeast nutrient, 1 crushed vit b tablet, your choice of acid (juice from 1 lemon or citric/tartric/malic acid or a mix of then about 1.5tps in total) 1/4 tps of wine tanin or tbs of cold tea, cover with clean teatowel and leave 24/48 hours in cool dark room. During which time get your yeast starter going, choose your yeast, either a good general purpose wine yeast for a dry mead or if you want a sweeter mead then pick a yeast culture from your home brew supplier that can take higher alcohol and sugar levels. Put 5 fl oz of luke warm water into a sterilised bottle and add a teaspoon of sugar 1/4 tps of marmite and spinkle your dried yeast onto the liquid and stopper up the bottle with cotton wool so that dust does not go in but it can breath and then put into a warm cupboard to get the yeast activated.

After the 24/48 hours stir your must vigourously the incorporate as much oxygen as possible and expel as much sulphur dioxide that remains in the must from the campden tablet as possible. Pitch your yeast starter into the must. Transfer must to sterilised demijohn leaving 3 or 4 inch gap at top. Seal with airlock. Place in cool dark place eg cellar. Check a couple of days later to ensure fermentation is active and once the first vigorous fermentation subsides top up the demijohn to 1/2 inch from bottom of airlock with water. Ferment out til airlock stops showing signs that CO2 is being given off. At this stage check your Specific gravity. If its 1.00 or below you have fermented out all the sugar. Rack off the lees into another sterilised demijohn and top up again with water. Leave in cool dark room to clear. This can take months or can occur quite quickly depends on your yeast. Bottle when clear and leave to mature 12 months or more if you have the patience.

I tend to follow Hombre's method - that is to ferment the washings from honey extraction.

I adjust my solution to 1.10 SG as also suggested and make sure that I have a surplus of the yeast that I want by adding a vigorously fermenting premix that I started before I cleaned my kit. I find "champagne" yeast gives a good result.

I would agree that yeast needs help to ferment and also add some yeast nutrient.

One final thought. Bees obviously do not want their honey to ferment and add a number of compounds to nectar when turning it into honey (ie peroxidase etc.). I notice that Brother Adam and a number of other experts recommend boiling the solution - is this to kill off the bee "additives" as well as wild yeasts?

Hi
In all my years of beekeeping I have never made mead till this year and I thought I would have a go now I have
25ltrs of blackberry it has been working and still is after 5 weeks. on my Hydrometer it started at 120 it is now down to 20 Question is do I stop it now or let it keep going till it stops I want a fairly sweet mead thank you in advance.
Taylan

Latest posts

Back