mating hive to nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priono

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
do you think it is possible to grow a mating hive into a nucleus if started early in the season?

Yes

However HM et al utilise the mating nuc several times during a season, after removing the incumbent mated queen to a nuc box made up with full frames of bees!

James

Mine have stayed the same size since I bought them! Actually, none of my nuc hives have expanded into full hives, is what I should say.

Simple, innit! Add more bees, some proper sized frames, add a little emerging brood, then some more as they emerge. Hey presto, give the bees enough resources to become a truly viable unit/colony and it will be a nuc in a quite short time, say about a further (four?) weeks should do it (as it will need three weeks before her own offspring from the 'proper' frames emerge). Depends, of course, what you consider to be a nuc I suppose....

OK. Thanks. I understood its impossible. My question was hasty. I forgot the three weeks gap too until new laid hatch.

I have grown a colony in a mini-nuc that's a bit bigger - (8 x 140 x 140 mm frames) into a full-sized nuc over a season, yes. No added bees.

Latest posts

Back