massive amount of varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am a complete beginner to beekeeping and got my first hive two months ago. The mite drop was very small at first but then as the bees began to increase during spring the drop count exploded from only a few to loads. I also began noticing dead bees at the front of the hive about a month ago. Only one or two at first but now it seems to be about five or ten a day now. I wonder if the birds are helping to fool me on this figure?

I did my research and talked to one of the mentors at the local association and acted on his advice. Yesterday I popped a couple of strips of Apistan in and a clean floor tray (varroa floor). I have just pulled the tray out for a count after 24 hours. There were too many to actually count so I took a couple of 10cm x 10cm sections and counted on these. I estimate that the total drop was over two thousand. So I think the good news is that they mite not (sorry) be resistant to treatment.

By the way, thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. It has been a brilliant resource of knowledge and advice so far. And if the bees pull through, I hope to use the search function in the future*

* for nice things like tips on extracting and recipes.

Hiveclean? Im not sure how effective it will be, but thats what i have been told to use at this time of year if i have a Varroa problem, which i dont! But i do have a 500 ML bottle of hiveclean just in case

Well done for identifying and treating. Some varroa are resistant to apistan but the measures you have taken has helped no-end. Continue the monitoring when the treatment has finished and ensure you use a thymol treatment later int he summer when the supers come off.

Hi Nematode

That sounds like one heck of an infestation.

You might like to look at the DEFRA publication 'Managing Varroa' - it's on Beebase. You may be in for a long haul with them - good luck!

Hive Clean works well. But only kills varroa that are attached to the bees, it will not kill varroa that are in the sealed cells. treat very 3 days over a 15 day period and it will get the little buggers under control.

However can't be used if you have a super on as it taints the honey, but it does work well.

Icing sugar could be sprinkled over the top of the brood to knock down the mites that are on the bees also, but again this does not touch the mites on brood.

Well done for catching it in time. And may your treatment regime be better than that of your supplier- they must have had quite an infestation when you got them.

I am a complete beginner to beekeeping and got my first hive two months ago. The mite drop was very small at first but then as the bees began to increase during spring the drop count exploded from only a few to loads. I also began noticing dead bees at the front of the hive about a month ago. Only one or two at first but now it seems to be about five or ten a day now. I wonder if the birds are helping to fool me on this figure?

I did my research and talked to one of the mentors at the local association and acted on his advice. Yesterday I popped a couple of strips of Apistan in and a clean floor tray (varroa floor). I have just pulled the tray out for a count after 24 hours. There were too many to actually count so I took a couple of 10cm x 10cm sections and counted on these. I estimate that the total drop was over two thousand. So I think the good news is that they mite not (sorry) be resistant to treatment.

By the way, thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. It has been a brilliant resource of knowledge and advice so far. And if the bees pull through, I hope to use the search function in the future*

* for nice things like tips on extracting and recipes.

My first thought was 'Where on earth did these bees come from'? They clearly were not treated in the winter!
With an infestation like that it might be a good idea to treat with Thymol based product and not harvest any honey this year - you may not get much anyway - but it will be tainted.
Does anyone else agree with this as I am only a third year beek?:confused:
Louise

Hive Clean works well.
However can't be used if you have a super on as it taints the honey, but it does work well.

Are you sure about this? I asked at Stoneleigh and was told it would be fine?
If you read the product blurb it also says it won't taint the honey.

Hope not or mine is well and truly tainted!
Cazza

...it might be a good idea to treat with Thymol based product and not harvest any honey this year - you may not get much anyway - but it will be tainted...

I don't mind at all if there is no honey. They are not filling the super anyway, maybe due to the weather. I just want them to have a good year and survive the winter. Presumably if I am going to try Thymol I might have to wait until the end of the Apistan, then make an assessment, then maybe treat then. Or do I just fire all I can at the little mites now? Seems harsh.

Latest posts

Back