MAQs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have decided to give MAQs a try this year for my varroa treatment.
I note on the packaging that the hive needs to be at least 6 frames of bees, and a couple of mine are borderline. One of them is from a split I did back in June, and the other is an older colony with a queen who is just not doing very well.
Would those with experience with MAQ treatment perhaps advise just using a single strip for a weaker colony?

2 strips is for a langstroth beehive. The dose is designed more for the volume of hive. Rather than the seams of bees.
I used Apivar in my nucs. As from experience it’s to much in smaller hives.
When I used it this year, I had a super on, (commercial bb) but left in the qe. leaving the qe in place was a mistake, they really do need a lot of space. Do not leave the inspection board in. Have the front of the entrance fully open.

I used MAQS on 2 of my hives yesterday, one was like yours and not massive, about 8 frames of bees, and this morning had a load of dead bees. Lost at least a 3rd and when I opened the hive it reaked of Formic acid. I don’t think they could manage the concentration even though I took out the entrance block as advised and had a lot of ventilation through the roof.
Scraped the bees off the mesh and Its a sad site to see bees writhing in agony. Took the strips off, won’t be using again, and hopefully the queen is ok, she was doing so well. Didn’t see any pupae taken out so I’m hoping the brood is ok and they recover.
I’d definitely recommend just using the one strip and keeping an eye on them

I used MAQS on 2 of my hives yesterday, one was like yours and not massive, about 8 frames of bees, and this morning had a load of dead bees. Lost at least a 3rd and when I opened the hive it reaked of Formic acid. I don’t think they could manage the concentration even though I took out the entrance block as advised and had a lot of ventilation through the roof.
Scraped the bees off the mesh and Its a sad site to see bees writhing in agony. Took the strips off, won’t be using again, and hopefully the queen is ok, she was doing so well. Didn’t see any pupae taken out so I’m hoping the brood is ok and they recover.
I’d definitely recommend just using the one strip and keeping an eye on them

Thanks for posting this it's very useful to others

Vape oa, it is far safer for the bees and one can't over dose.

I think I will vape them with Oxalic instead. Thanks for the replies. I lost quite enough bees this spring, I don’t want to lose any more. The idea of just one treatment with MAQ was a bit of laziness on my part.

Nothing wrong with trying to avoid work……..it’s the reason I use MAQS. Interestingly enough I’ve thrown caution to the wind and used on weaker than ideal colonies this year, yet to check on the results but am confident with the product. Two strips used in all colonies.
Used in commercial brood with a super in place, entrance blocks removed but inspection trays in on open mesh floors for noting whats going on.

Latest posts

Back