Making Thymol Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be pedantic - surgical spirit and methylated spirits are not one an the same. Surgical spirit contains methyl salicylate (likely to be mistaken by wasps as a sex pheromone - so not advisable), diethyl phthalate (is an insecticide and insect repellent - again not advisable), castor oil and methylated spirits which are a mixture of ethanol with 5% wood naphtha. Surgical spirits are probably not the best thing to use to prepare thymol suspension!

Just to be pedantic - surgical spirit and methylated spirits are not one an the same. Surgical spirit contains methyl salicylate (likely to be mistaken by wasps as a sex pheromone - so not advisable), diethyl phthalate (is an insecticide and insect repellent - again not advisable), castor oil and methylated spirits which are a mixture of ethanol with 5% wood naphtha. Surgical spirits are probably not the best thing to use to prepare thymol suspension!

That was of very little use to me..

Diethyl Phthalate as well as an insect repellent is also an endocrine disruptor and may reduce the fertility of queens and drones. Don't suppose anyone has looked at hive performance where surgical spirit has bee used?

I have used thymol and sugar mix for many years and even after talking to Pete some time before he posted his mix up on this site, I have only rarely added the lecithin. So yes there is obviously a logic to the emulsion I did not find a noticeable change in any nosema levels.

the was definitely putting his faith in lecithin then

That was way before I understood the chemistry behind it. Have a look at it yourselves before decrying it.
You can dissolve up to 0.9gm of Thymol per litre of water without anything (just takes a few weeks...). Dissolving first in alcohol speeds up the dissolving in water. You can get an oilly layer, but not of thymol . The oily layer is thyme oil from which thymol is derived. Its an impurity in your thymol crystals.
These are facts, not bee forum folklore. But hey! never let the facts get in the way.
I've never used Lecithin, never had any moulds grown nor ever had a nosema outbreak. That is the way I will continue to use it .
Anyone is welcome to use whatever method they like. They both obviously word, just one costs more and requires more effort.
You can please yourself which you chose to use.

One other thing i bought some lecithin today for half the price as the best before end date is October this year..that should not make much difference where emulsifying the Thymol is concerned should it..?..

Depends on how well it's packed. It does go off over time and you may notice a change in consistency of the lecithin particularly if the oil content is high and turns rancid. It will also support mould growth if it is allowed to absorb too much water.

I keep a small amount in the freezer in an old marge tub, good for years, and like Erica give the rest away to other beekeepers

Diethyl Phthalate as well as an insect repellent is also an endocrine disruptor and may reduce the fertility of queens and drones. Don't suppose anyone has looked at hive performance where surgical spirit has bee used?

ah, our weekly dose of doom, gloom, despondency and why we should all give up beekeeping.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back