making polish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Does it matter if the wax I use for making polish is a green colour not bright yellow, will it make a difference in the colour of the finished product.

hi doug
I haven't made any wax polish for a while, but when I worked in the shoe trade we had natural wax in bars, and melted to add different dyes and pigment to polish for repairs scratches on samples, and the raw wax came in different colours and didn't change the colour as long as the dye was measured accurately hope that helps.

Cheers for that.

only problem was I wasn't looking to add any colourings. lol

mind you had no idea about making shoe polish. do you have a recipe?

cheers
doug

Doug
I've just made my first batch using one of Hedgerow Pete's formulas that got posted as a sticky. Came out really well.

"Beeswax Polish
Beeswax furniture polish with it's soft, satin shine is considered the ultimate in wood care. Note that there is very little difference between this formula and the formula for shoe polish.
4 ounces (weight) beeswax
2 tablespoons carnauba wax
2 1/2 cups odorless turpentine or mineral spirits
Melt the waxes on high in a microwave or in a double boiler. Remove the waxes from the heat and stir in the turpentine or mineral spirits. Apply the polish with a clean cloth and rub in small circles. Turn the cloth as it becomes dirty. Allow the polish to dry, then buff with a clean cloth. If more than one coat is desired, wait two days between applications."

when we made it it was one ounce before melting and one pipet drop per mixture, it was liquid that had dye or pigment and was oily and smelt like but was not paraffin or turps smell I've been out the trade for forty years, so there might be some thing else now, only a guess try a small amount and use oil paint pigment and add a bit of turps as a carrier good luck

While youre talking about shoepolish has anyone made a waterproofer with beeswax for walking boots? Not leather boots but the fabric type?

Again suggest go to the Forum Sticky Posts and look at HedgerowPete's threads. He's got most things covered as far as balms, lotions, waterproofing, polishes. Lots of info.

Be aware that your BBKA £10m public Liabilty product insurance does not cover Polish becasue it is processed beewax not a hive product (ie Beeswax)

it was actually the shoe polish recipe I was looking for from yeogi75. lol

Latest posts

Back