Making increase double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just doing some reading on the wbka on making increase reads as followed

Where brood, bees and stores are divided reasonably evenly between the two boxes increase may be made simply by separating them. It is possible to complete the whole procedure without finding the queen – the two boxes are placed on separate stands more than a yard apart. A week later there will be emergency queen cells in the box without the queen.
These can be destroyed, and a queen or suitable queen cell introduced, or the whole box may be divided into nuclei

Just wondering when you make a split like this why does it not matter where the queen is?

The queen right box will continue as a viable colony, you would have to inspect the hives too find the hive with queen cells as that will be the queenless colony which you will have to either leave them to it or introduce a queen.

Would need to be a fairly strong hive before hand.

The queen right box will continue as a viable colony, you would have to inspect the hives too find the hive with queen cells as that will be the queenless colony which you will have to either leave them to it or introduce a queen.

Would need to be a fairly strong hive before hand.

I read it as you would do this before queen cells (checking in 7days for emergencies cells) I’m not saying I’m doing it just asking for a more in-depth look into it...

I may try it if I’m in the position one day! Sounds very easy

Yes, inspect after the split.

Before hand if you knew both boxes had recently laid eggs they can then use those; there is a chance I suppose that one of the boxes didnt have eggs or young larvae and the queen may not be in that box so they wouldn't be able to make a queen cell at all.

Latest posts

Back