Lost one hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Went to check on the hives today (not a full inspection, just checking food supplies).

One hive was super active, brining in loads of pollen - so I left well alone.

The secon hive was active but bringing in no pollen. I took a look inside and decided to do a quick inspection.

As expected, no brood. Loads of crumbly wax and comb filled with wax pellets??

I'll hit the books later - but can anyone identify this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 147
I'll hit the books later - but can anyone identify this?

I see what looks like multiple eggs on the side walls of cells. This is indicitive of laying workers.

I don't believe they were robbed out because the feeding frenzy that accompanies this damages the cells. So, I have to ask, did you feed them with anything?

they had neopol fondant. Do you think it's eggs? I didn't know laying workers could lay so many!

they had neopol fondant. Do you think it's eggs? I didn't know laying workers could lay so many!

Its hard to tell from the photograph. It looks like multiple eggs on the cell walls in the bottom left hand corner. If that is correct, you've lost the queen at some point

I was trying to get more info before jumping to conclusions about what is in the cells. My suspicion was that it might have been a pollen substitute as this can set rock-hard in the comb.

That second photo is what I would have expected to see in a colony that had been robbed. Do you see how the cells have been chewed down, even through the mid-rib?

Last edited:
I also think the damage to the comb is down to a mouse . They don't always nest in the hive but visit , feed and leave (bit like going to a restaurant!) and usually leave their black sausage like droppings on the floor and a lingering mousy smell.

Last edited:
Its hard to tell from the photograph. It looks like multiple eggs on the cell walls in the bottom left hand corner. If that is correct, you've lost the queen at some point

I was trying to get more info before jumping to conclusions about what is in the cells. My suspicion was that it might have been a pollen substitute as this can set rock-hard in the comb.

Yeah i assumed the queen was gone.

If mice have access they don't necessarily nest there but visit and leave (bit like going to a restaurant!) but you would see their droppings on the floor and would detect the mousy smell.

i doubt it was mice. I fitted a guard fairly early.

Hive had a mouse

Then other hives have robbed the stores during winter No wintering hive consume food thay way

No signs of brooding in those combs

Colony has died out and stores are being robbed out. Bees observed flying from hive are probably robbers. All liquid honey, including any liquid component of granulated stores has been carried off. There are no eggs in comb, only dried out crystals of granulated stores. Torn wax cappings is another indication of robbing. A mouse has been in the hive at some stage and grazed on the comb - if mouse guard fitted, could they or it have gained access through crown board?.

Finno

Colony has died out and stores are being robbed out. Bees observed flying from hive are probably robbers. All liquid honey, including any liquid component of granulated stores has been carried off. There are no eggs in comb, only dried out crystals of granulated stores. Torn wax cappings is another indication of robbing. A mouse has been in the hive at some stage and grazed on the comb - if mouse guard fitted, could they or it have gained access through crown board?.

Finno

My conclusion too. Colony died out (for whatever reason, some time ago). Still being robbed. Looks like mouse damage to comb - assuming it was fully drawn from foundation.

HOWEVER ... it always helps to provide full info.
Was this the colony that you reported on here having some difficulty re-queening at the end of last summer?
Were these frames fully drawn from foundation? Or were the holes there all along?

My conclusion too. Colony died out (for whatever reason, some time ago). Still being robbed. Looks like mouse damage to comb - assuming it was fully drawn from foundation.

HOWEVER ... it always helps to provide full info.
Was this the colony that you reported on here having some difficulty re-queening at the end of last summer?
Were these frames fully drawn from foundation? Or were the holes there all along?

This colony was always problematic. It lost its queen in late june and I had to put eggs from my good hive in to give them something to work with. They successfully raised a new queen and layed down some stores. All of the brood comb was drawn, but I never added a super.

I still think it's unlikely that mouse was in there. There was no way in. The mesh floor was only covered in bee debris and wax. No droppings or bedding.

I always thought that this hive might be the one to have problems over winter - so whilst it's sad at least it doesn't look like some terrible disease has taken them.

I'll focus on my one hive this year since I'm in the process of selling/buying my home and will have more than enough to do without getting a new colony.

Feeling a bit flat as found one of my nucs was a lost cause today. To be honest they were the weakest of the 5 going into winter... It seems they went queenless, could have been they decided they didn't like her or maybe i blundered and squished her during autumn feeding... there was evidence of 5 or so EQC part chewed away so i'm guessing they tried in vain to rear and get mated a new queen. I guess I can look at the plus that the other 4 are very strong, plenty of pollen going etc... as are the main colonies. hey ho.

Latest posts

Back