Long distant transport of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatshark

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have to transport bees a distance of about 500 miles. They will be in nucs. with travel screens and OMFs, space underneath for good airflow, securely strapped up. The journey will be overnight to prevent overheating. Other than stops to spray them with water a few times are there any additional precautions I should take to make the journey as stress free and comfortable for them.

Should the boxes be warm way or cold way with regard to direction of travel?

Not making the trip is not an option.

With thanks.

Frames should be in line with the car not across it if you get what I mean.

I would say cold way, ie frames in line with direction of travel. so stopping and starting shouldnt bang the frames together. Good luick and keep them cool and bee tight.
Buzz

This wasn't you then D was it?! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-13335327

And no, wisnae me either. I'll do anything I can to help find the culprits.

G.

PS Yes, frames parallel to the direction of travel, ensure that there is no free space in the boxes (ram in extra frames or dummies if needed). Yes, ventilate, but don't chill them either. They'll be fine.

Last edited:
A window that opens is all he'll need for an overnight flit.

I have to ask why btw... lol I am a curious so and so....

PH

You didn't say if they were inside or outside the vehicle, outside will naturally be cooler. If so, both travelling screens and OMFs sounds like overkill for this time of year, and chilling small colonies regularly with water might only make matters worse.

I've had strong hives strapped up and sealed overnight on occasions in the balmy south west with solid floors and travelling screens; no problems.

I know you said the journey can't not be done, but why move bees from one end of the country to the other? Nothing suitable nearer to home?

He has his reasons Dan.

The White Van Man reference comes from the BBC link.

The weather in the west of Scotland is never tropical and especially so at this time of year.

Inverewe gardens, famed for its exotic plants. At "£3000-3500" for four hives of bees splashed all over the airwaves I expect thefts will increase....

....tell that Poly Hive that he squashed GOLD DUST. Mmm black bees :biggrinjester: Mind they were in wooden hives.

Thanks everyone. Cold way, bee tight (I should hope so for 500 miles!) and gently does it.

Not in a white van either ... I'd seen the BBC story.

Cheers.

Back