Lonely, Lovely, Beautiful…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBeeKa

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
8 poly hives
…Quinn cell been found today during inspection of 3-BB langstroth hive. Found by an accident, I have to say, as I did not intend to check the very top honey super initially. It was on the 7th frame of pure and non-cupped honey comb , almost in the center of it. (Please choose " В полный размер " option under the click-appearing picture if you want to see more details)

On the following picture you can see a few other frames from the same box,- the frame with foundation on the right, and the frame with partially drown comb on the left off the Qc frame. It`s just to show that there was still plenty of space in the box.

The box underneath that top one is really very congested with honey/syrup combs (no brood though), cupped for about 80%.
But the next picture gives you an idea that the brood box itself at the very bottom ( with 6 frames of brood) has plenty of empty comb cells/space also.

Quinn is good, proactive, laying a decent amount of eggs( sorry for the bad quality picture)

It`s the second most prolific colony in my apiary, still harvesting some honey for me into that top box where the Qc found. There were no more Qc`s or cups in the entire hive.
And then was hail. Sudden and stunning… Just like that Qc in BB almost in the middle of October :)

Hail goes to hell. But what could make my bees to do that very odd trick?
So now your guesses please :)

The reduced graitational field on Mars? Perhaps the CO2 atmosphere? Jus TV a bit alien, if you were to ask me, but hopefully you won't.

The reduced graitational field on Mars? Perhaps the CO2 atmosphere? Jus TV a bit alien, if you were to ask me, but hopefully you won't.

RAB, this isn't Finman is it, as one of his 'alter ego's? ( and 'well tanked up')
Just a thought, as Finman has not surfaced for a while. Just thinking out loud...........:)

Going by the heading on the photos, definitely Russian! The burning question is...what was in the queen cell?
E

2 brood boxes away from the brood itself, separated by a whole box of stores in the middle of a lake of nectar?
It's laid by a worker and has a drone inside it.

2 brood boxes away from the brood itself, separated by a whole box of stores in the middle of a lake of nectar?
It's laid by a worker and has a drone inside it.
Hm...It does not look like a drone cell definitely. But I see your point...
Are you actually guessing, or is it what you`ve got from your own experience? A friend of mine told me that he had got the same situation in the previous Autumn. One of his hives superseded this way.
But you know what? I could not just kill the cell… I`ve put it in Apidea – belive it or not :) With a mug of a brood frame bees of course. Some sugar in the feeder well moisten with thimolated syrup… This is my first beekeeping season, so I am trying to get different sorts of experience. This experiment has probably 0 chance for survival, but, at least, I`ll get some understanding how to deal with mini nuks… And we`ll figure out what was in the cell, hopefully :)

Last edited:
I've seen a hopelessly queen less colony make queen cells in the middle of stores that looked just like that one.
I don't know...some people say workers move eggs too.
I'd love to know what you find in the end.

…Quinn cell been found today during inspection of 3-BB langstroth hive. Found by an accident, I have to say, as I did not intend to check the very top honey super initially. It was on the 7th frame of pure and non-cupped honey comb , almost in the center of it. (Please choose " В полный размер " option under the click-appearing picture if you want to see more details)

On the following picture you can see a few other frames from the same box,- the frame with foundation on the right, and the frame with partially drown comb on the left off the Qc frame. It`s just to show that there was still plenty of space in the box.

The box underneath that top one is really very congested with honey/syrup combs (no brood though), cupped for about 80%.
But the next picture gives you an idea that the brood box itself at the very bottom ( with 6 frames of brood) has plenty of empty comb cells/space also.

Quinn is good, proactive, laying a decent amount of eggs( sorry for the bad quality picture)

It`s the second most prolific colony in my apiary, still harvesting some honey for me into that top box where the Qc found. There were no more Qc`s or cups in the entire hive.
And then was hail. Sudden and stunning… Just like that Qc in BB almost in the middle of October :)

Hail goes to hell. But what could make my bees to do that very odd trick?
So now your guesses please :)

i would have thought a bit cold for laying out frames for photos

i would have thought a bit cold for laying out frames for photos
The temperature was about 12C` and you can see sunshine on photo №3. When hail arrived I closed everything up quickly. But I realize that it was a very risky operation. If I get a chance to make the final inspection of this hive, I`ll let you know – how is it going. No thrown larva so far :)

here we are shutting up our hives ready for winter, we don't want to cause chill and bee disturbance so late in the year.

here we are shutting up our hives ready for winter, we don't want to cause chill and bee disturbance so late in the year.
Hm... It`s Strange... As the Gorse is just at the beginning of blossom( joking :) )

Latest posts

Back