Leather Glove cleaning recipes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
anyone have any secret Leather Glove cleaning recipes, they would like to reveal. (I thought after see-ing Martha's gloves, it was about time to clean mine).

Just to add, when I started and was being mentored, it was the norm, everyone (other than the naked hand Beeks) wore leather gloves, at training, other than when the leather ran out, people wore yellow marigolds!

Now, in these modern times, we understand the cleanliness around hives, and use nitrile, marigolds, or disposal gloves.

Well I have this last 12 months, sometimes wear disposal gloves over the top of leather sometimes, or just wear nitrile, depending on what I'm doing.

I've learnt, that catching swarms in hawthorn or blackthorn hedges with disposal gloves or nitriles is a waste if time, they get ripped too easily. So different gloves for different things, and wearing leather gloves when moving hives and supers, they are more sturdy.

anyway, back to question...

Leather Glove cleaning recipes, to best clean, honey, wax, propolis, a colony I have loves to proplise everything, it looks like I smoke 50 a day!

soda cyrstals, anything else to bring them back to new?

Get rid !!!! Rubber/plastic far more hygienic and easy to clean - and cheaper too in the longer run.

Try the heavy blue latex ones with cuffs. Generally have Hy-care printed on back. Strong enough to withstand hawthorn and you can clean them between each hive if you need to. I have also never had a full-on sting through them yet.

Ray

Get rid !!!! Rubber/plastic far more hygienic and easy to clean - and cheaper too in the longer run.

I don't use them for inspections now (as per OP), only carrying hives and supers, and working in hedges with blackthorn and hawthorn.

So I could just leave them as is, and not clean them!

Try the heavy blue latex ones with cuffs. Generally have Hy-care printed on back. Strong enough to withstand hawthorn and you can clean them between each hive if you need to. I have also never had a full-on sting through them yet.

Ray

Ray, I look out for them.

Any link ?

Why buy more gloves at all? The gloves in that link need to be washed inside as well .. or they stink. More hassle than the leather ones.

Further to my post above, I have used Saixxbrys washing up gloves for years. Bees have a severe job stinging through them, they're cheap and they last so long and so easy to clean that I will never use any other so long as they are available. Thickish - yea. Insensitive - so what. I ain't in the business of fondling the little darlings. Nitrile useless for my feisty but productive bees.

To reply to part of the initial question,
anyone have any secret Leather Glove cleaning recipes, they would like to reveal.?
I found some information that may or may not help but here we go anyway,
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/research-institute/glove-cleaning-tips
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-leather/
I tried handcream when I had leather gloves it helped with making them supple but didnt clean well, bees didn't like the handcream it seemed and I dont use them anymore.
regards Jim

Yes, the blue gloves in the link.
I agree with the poster above that you need to wash the inside or they do smell.

However I stand by my original point that you cannot clean leather gloves between hives/apiaries in the same day. Also the leather gloves have heavy lumpy seams on the ends of fingers and seem very clumsy.
I'm not brave enough to wear just nitrile gloves yet, maybe eventually.

Ray

Latest posts

Back