Lazy queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Earlier on this season, I had laying workers. i got rid of these and installed a new queen. (shop bought) She started laying but the colony hasn't grown much.
The queen in still laying (perfect pattern) but only on a few frames. I've given her about 6 weeks to start laying more eggs but alas she's not keen.
I spotted her today with all stages of brood just not many of them
No sign of supersedure cells either.
Any thoughts about my lazy queen?

this time of year most queens are taking it easy.

Earlier on this season, I had laying workers. i got rid of these and installed a new queen. (shop bought) She started laying but the colony hasn't grown much.
The queen in still laying (perfect pattern) but only on a few frames. I've given her about 6 weeks to start laying more eggs but alas she's not keen.
I spotted her today with all stages of brood just not many of them
No sign of supersedure cells either.
Any thoughts about my lazy queen?

How big is the rest of the colony? I had an overwinter cast which never really got going until I united it with a queenless (failed to return from mating) AS split. As soon as the critical mass was exceeded she laid up a storm.

:iagree:
How big is the rest of the colony? I had an overwinter cast which never really got going until I united it with a queenless (failed to return from mating) AS split. As soon as the critical mass was exceeded she laid up a storm.

If no disease is present I would suggest adding a frame or two of sealed brood that is close on emerging from your other hives, most likely your hive has a lack of young bees that will tend the brood

Latest posts

Back