Lavender Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For planning purposes, how many hives would an acre of lavender support?

Depends when the lavender is cut. I wouldn't put more than 2 hives even if it's not cut. And then it depends whether it's traditional lavender or one of the cloned "lavendin" which yield more but don't give such a good honey. Even when my house was surrounded by lavender fields I was grateful for the lime alleys.

I have two large lavender beds but only small in comparison to an acre. My whole garden smells of lavender with the constant movement by the bees. I would I imagine an acre would be amazing. If the bees cannot find enough nectar they will go elsewhere so I would put two or three hives on it with no problem!

I have two large lavender beds but only small in comparison to an acre. My whole garden smells of lavender with the constant movement by the bees. I would I imagine an acre would be amazing. If the bees cannot find enough nectar they will go elsewhere so I would put two or three hives on it with no problem!
Thanks Enrico, 2/3 sounds about right.

Depends when the lavender is cut. I wouldn't put more than 2 hives even if it's not cut. And then it depends whether it's traditional lavender or one of the cloned "lavendin" which yield more but don't give such a good honey. Even when my house was surrounded by lavender fields I was grateful for the lime alleys.
Thanks for this Happyculteur - most useful.

Latest posts

Back