Late Varroa Treatment Due to Bereavement - Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu.uk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have been asked through my partners work if I can assist in looking to treat 2 hives for Varroa.

Unfortunately this is due to bereavement and the hives being untreated as a result.

What can I treat with now that will have some effectiveness? Or is it too late?

Any advice would be appreciated.

:thanks:

Stu

Apivar strips on prescription from Google the bee vet
Better than waiting for a vaporiser and oxalic to arrive in the post. You could get them done by the weekend

Thank you, when would this be done?

Where can I buy Oxalic Acid in quick time?

As you are in Lincolnshire Thornes would be favourite unless a local beek with the equipment is feeling generous.

You might also consider MAQS as a seven day treatment but temperature might reduce its efficacy.

Which end of Lincolnshire are you?

Better than waiting for a vaporiser and oxalic to arrive in the post. You could get them done by the weekend

That's what I have done before at this time of year. They worked well for me. Important to remember to open the hives up again and remove the strips at the end of treatment though. Even though it might be December. Leaving them in over winter increases the possibility of mites developing resistance to the Amitraz.

As you are in Lincolnshire Thornes would be favourite unless a local beek with the equipment is feeling generous.

You might also consider MAQS as a seven day treatment but temperature might reduce its efficacy.

Which end of Lincolnshire are you?

I am just North of Lincoln.

MAQS still work this time of year.

Thymol is still working here as it is still warm...

My garden apiary smells lovely..

You could just put the inspection boards in and estimate the varroa load first.

I have used MAQS this autumn to great effect without any queen problems. Indeed they had laid up some frames of eggs when I removed the strips. However, I did lose one queen last year when temperatures were 26 C on a strong colony with empty super on top. I put it down to lack of ventilation in strong double brood colony and hot weather. Probably too late for MAQS now though.

Anyone has experience of this?

Thank you all for the comments

Thymol is still working here as it is still warm...

My garden apiary smells lovely..

had this lingering smell of thymol around me all last night, couldn't understand why as I had been very carefyl not to get any on my clothes when I was fiddling around in the shed yesterday. Thought it must have been on my t-shirt so donned a clean one this morning (shame really, not the end of the week yet and I only put it on Sunday) to still have the whiff around me then realised that I'd absentmindedly popped the piece of kitchen paper I'd used to tidy up after into my pocket - only realised when I went to wipe my nose!!

had this lingering smell of thymol around me all last night, couldn't understand why as I had been very carefyl not to get any on my clothes when I was fiddling around in the shed yesterday. Thought it must have been on my t-shirt so donned a clean one this morning (shame really, not the end of the week yet and I only put it on Sunday) to still have the whiff around me then realised that I'd absentmindedly popped the piece of kitchen paper I'd used to tidy up after into my pocket - only realised when I went to wipe my nose!!

Moving last colony to new apiary, I also have a very herby syrup to deal with after that. Then, I'll be sublimating.

Hoping that's me done. :willy_nilly:

I am just North of Lincoln.

OK so you are fairly close to Wragby and a drive to Thornes is manageable. However i note you only joined the forum in spring and this topic seems to be your first foray into activity. You also show nil hives so judging by your questions are you a novice or do you have any beekeeping knowledge or experience? Knowing what you might be capable of handling will enable us to couch answers better.
You might like to contact Lincolnshire Beekeepers to ask if they have someone who can help with hands on assistance, particularly if they practice sublimation treatment.

You will have too wait for Both treatments by post Erica, i would rather order a good gasser and some rhubarb crystals which may take a 4/5 days tops from germany, rather than risk killing the Queen with Strips, order the rhubarb and gasser on Monday i bet it will be there by Friday.;)

Latest posts

Back