Late swarming and the new queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a heads up for those who have managed to lose late swarms. Checking for brood in that situation is a very sensible move.

Think about it.
They may be taking in pollen - so what does that really mean?
She may have started laying - so what?

Neither of the above are indicative of a good on-going colony. I will leave you to ponder the missing extra requirement. Replies on a postcard maybe. (For those in the beginners section who might currently be suffering this problem, the clue is in the second 'think'.)

Just a heads up for those who have managed to lose late swarms. Checking for brood in that situation is a very sensible move.

Think about it.

Neither of the above are indicative of a good on-going colony. I will leave you to ponder the missing extra requirement. Replies on a postcard maybe. (For those in the beginners section who might currently be suffering this problem, the clue is in the second 'think'.)

Hard to think when your mind is fixed on the 1 thing you can not get ;)

especially true for her majesty

If anyone is stuck for a queen its always worth asking if anyone else has one
Lots of folk are combining colonies and thus have a spare queen
Plus a few people may have mini nucs with spare queens they had for insurance and no longer need
Likewise anyone thinking of taking a mini nuc through Winter why not just help a fellow beekeeper out instead

Think about it.

Why be so cryptic about it? We're all trying to do the best for the bees.

Why be so cryptic about it? We're all trying to do the best for the bees.

Try thinking what the signs of a successful mating would be. Clue: what shape are the caps?
Think I'm on the right track this time RAB, after my last reply on this sort of subject?
LOL:redface:

who would condone inspections in October?

if the bees have swarmed, there 'may' be a newly mated queen or virgin in the hive. Both would be unmarked, and either could be hard to find.

adding a second queen could be a recipe for disaster.

I do not mess with hive politics at this time of year.

if the bees have swarmed, there 'may' be a newly mated queen or virgin in the hive. Both would be unmarked, and either could be hard to find.

adding a second queen could be a recipe for disaster.

I do not mess with hive politics at this time of year.

:iagree:

The point is: you now have only half the colony (approx) than before the unfortunate event; better to unite if it is evident (as in 'by observation') the colony will not likely survive the winter. I take no notice of the calender - actual dates at this time of the year are as irrelevant as when the first inspection of the year should take place.

Remember losing a swarm is not the same as a colony-organised autumn supercedure. Totally different in all respects, including choice of queen.

Post caps, dutch caps, screw caps, toy caps. MS is thinking.......

Cryptic? All the thinking beeks should find little problem in getting the answer; some may need to try a little harder.

the clue is in the second 'think'.)

Well the second "think" is in "the clue is in the second 'think'" so we are clearly looking at a crossword-type word-game here. Probably an anagram of "the second think". Like "HENS DOT KITCHENS". Chickens? EGGS. Which came first?

I always have drone comb in my brood boxes; when I check on Quinny, she'd better not be laying in it, the little tramp, bless her. <ADD>Of course she wouldn't KNOW she's a DLQ, so if she's in the drone comb she's just being a little minx. </ADD> I reckon she'll have found her Puck or twelve though http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Puck-Quinn_Relationship ; believe me, I'll let everyone know. This prodigious ivy flow can be a complication though; no cradle for the (girl) babies to lay their head.

Last edited:

The point is: you now have only half the colony (approx) than before the unfortunate event; better to unite if it is evident (as in 'by observation') the colony will not likely survive the winter. I take no notice of the calender - actual dates at this time of the year are as irrelevant as when the first inspection of the year should take place.

Remember losing a swarm is not the same as a colony-organised autumn supercedure. Totally different in all respects, including choice of queen.

Post caps, dutch caps, screw caps, toy caps. MS is thinking.......

Cryptic? All the thinking beeks should find little problem in getting the answer; some may need to try a little harder.

Whether or not anyone gets the answer is not the point. A more patronising, egotistical, holier-than-thou approach I have ever had the misfortune to find on a forum.

The point is, if you don't think out the situation, you'll be back next year asking the same question

Whether or not anyone gets the answer is not the point.

The typical response from the typical whinger who is unable to think for themself or expects to be spoon-fed, either because of the above or too lazy to try. No addition from them, to the thread, other than complaining. Learn to play the ball.

I am sure one of the new beeks could help you out, if you really wanted to know.

Beekeeping is a simple craft, but one does need to be able to observe and work out the obvious requirements from those simple observations.

The newbies section is there for the those that might be put off in the main forum.....

Whether or not anyone gets the answer is not the point. A more patronising, egotistical, holier-than-thou approach I have ever had the misfortune to find on a forum.

:iagree:
Tiring children's games suitable for a mental age of 10 year olds. Let's act our age not our shoe size.

My Sep-21 emerged QCs seem not to have made a viable Q. Not certain but looks highly unlikely

How can you possibly be so sure, less than a fortnight after emergence?

Weather unseasonably warm here at the moment.
When you have 35 colonies you have more options than when you have 1.
So if I had 1 and the queen plus half the bees had just legged it
I would rather introduce a laying queen and take out the queen cells or virgin if it has got to that stage.
Somebody usually has a queen who is laying I gave my last one from a keiler to a friend two weeks ago and the existing virgin was removed first before introduction
I think I have wandered off topic here but that's the risk you take when skinning cats :)

Latest posts

Back