langstroth jumbo frame extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfletty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,i,ve changed over from national type hive this year to langstroth jumbo. what extractor do other beekeepers use to extract a langstroth jumbo brood frame, as i only keep 3 hives and 2 nucs a small extractor is all i need.thanks

Hi all,i,ve changed over from national type hive this year to langstroth jumbo. what extractor do other beekeepers use to extract a langstroth jumbo brood frame, as i only keep 3 hives and 2 nucs a small extractor is all i need.thanks

You'll have trouble extracting jumbo brood frames because:
1. The frames will have to be extracted tangentially
2. The diameter of the extractor will need to be huge just to extract 3 or 4 frames tangentially.
3. Extracting will take longer this way

I strongly urge you to either use standard Langstroth supers/mediums or, at a stretch, deeps.

thanks for the quick replies, i should have said this is only for the odd brood frame and not for my honey supers thanks again

I can extract 14 x 12 frames - I only extract non-brood frames! - in my 9 frame Lega radial by using the 3 tangential screens. Yes, it is slower, but three 14 x 12 frames yield almost as much as nine shallow super frames, so not so much time difference,what with only three frames to reverse.

Many of the abelo/lyson extractors are fine with jumbo frames radially. Not a problem.

I run Square Dadant brood boxes and have a 50 year old Kelley extractor that was made to handle the frames. I extract 4 of the deep frames at a time yielding about 9 pounds of honey per frame or 36 pounds per extractor load. It will also extract eight shallow 5 3/8 frames as a load producing an average of 24 pounds. I prefer the shallow frames for honey to be harvested, but if considering time expended per pound of honey extracted, the deep frames are a bit more efficient.

I have a very long knife that can uncap the deep frames with a single long stroke. I strongly suggest getting a knife that will easily uncap your deep frames.

That sounds like an exceptional average. Are you still on one and a quarter inch spacing?

A standard Langstroth deep weighs 7 lbs when full so the extra 2" of a Jumbo could add a bit extra. This is gross weight though. I doubt it would actually yield that much honey as there is the weight of the frame and wax to consider

Edit: my mistake. I see that he is talking about Dadant frames now

Last edited:
A standard Langstroth deep weighs 7 lbs when full

I have weighed that I get in extracting 5 lbs honey from standard langstroth frame.
The box gives out 50 lbs. Medium gives 30 lbs.

From a book I have read that after extracting 20% out of honey stays in cell walls.

A standard Langstroth deep weighs 7 lbs when full so the extra 2" of a Jumbo could add a bit extra. This is gross weight though. I doubt it would actually yield that much honey as there is the weight of the frame and wax to consider

Edit: my mistake. I see that he is talking about Dadant frames now

I've been using modified dadant frames, on their correct one and a half inch spacing, for a long time now hence my mild surprise at his returns from basically the same frame on a much narrower (32mm) spacing.

I run 12 frames in the box to get wider combs for extracted honey. This applies to both the deep and shallow extracting boxes. I've weighed several of the deep frames at a tad over 10.5 pounds average. After extracting, the frame and comb weigh about 1.5 pounds so the honey and cappings weigh 9 pounds. I tried with 14 frames in the box - i.e. 1.25 inch (32mm) spacing but the total weight is then about 7 pounds per full frame and they are difficult to uncap.

This has been a handy method of getting a lot of Dadant depth frames drawn out in a short time. A square Dadant box full of honey is too heavy to handle as an ordinary way of keeping bees.

Latest posts

Back