Langstroth chaos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Looking over a friends langstroths, I have few questions...as I only use nationals
Are they always top bee space as the collection of supers and brood boxes in the garage are top and bottom bee space?
Does anyone have any details of some frames... These old frames that might get used with new foundation don't seem to have a fixing strip along the top like my nationals to hold the foundation in place?
Obviously new frames would be better but they really are on a tight budget...

Thanks all

Looking over a friends langstroths, I have few questions...as I only use nationals

(1.)Are they always top bee space as the collection of supers and brood boxes in the garage are top and bottom bee space?

(2.)Does anyone have any details of some frames...

(3.)These old frames that might get used with new foundation don't seem to have a fixing strip along the top like my nationals to hold the foundation in place?
Obviously new frames would be better but they really are on a tight budget...

Thanks all
Don't know if this will help, but it's a start :)

1. No, it depends on who makes and sells them. Mine (Swienty poly) are all top bee space. The wooden ones I got rid of were also top bee space - but age and use had made it a bit tight in places, which was another reason for getting rid of them. Check frame runners are the right way round, some are L-shaped and can be put in the wrong edge upwards.

2. Frames - check the Maisie's website http://www.bees-online.co.uk/categories.asp?Sector_ID=3 for drawings and measurements. Standard Lang brood boxes usually take the Langstroth deep frames. All the wooden supers I've seen have been shallower than the poly ones, and take the Lang shallow frames.

Mine take Modified Dadant frames in both brood (jumbo Lang) and super.

There are no grooves down the inner face of the side bars.

You can't buy, for example, side bars from Th0rnes and expect them to fit Maisie top bars. They won't fit. Scroll down on this page http://tinyurl.com/pxsnwjh to see why not.

3. If there's a gap/ridge/ledge where the frame wedge should be attached you can use/tack some thin batten to hold the wax in place - the bees will glue it firmly in no time.

Maybe these frames were home made?

Some Langstroth boxes were machined with a rebate that was not intended to have frame runners fitted, I have some brood and super boxes like that. If someone were to fit frame runners to boxes with a similar rebate the top bee space would be lost.

Roger

Latest posts

Back