Landowner not giving me access to my out-apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this again I think there's probably a basic mismatch in how I see things and how my landowner sees things.

I'm talking about "my bees" in "my out-apiary" and assuming what happens with an out-apiary.

My landowner being very territorial is seeing bees arrive in their hive (we set up the hive with some old frames and swarm moved in initially. Swarmed following year and failed to requeen), me taking a crop of honey and nucs with the old queens and me leaving another hive on their land for 18 months and thinking that's mine now. Thinking that I'm taking advantage.

None of which do I have any evidence. Again. It really isn't worth any more mental stress to me.

at least you've found a handy depository for your used poo bags whilst out dog walking.
I suffer from this. Bottom of my garden is a footpath between football field (where there are bins) and a round about (where there is a bin) but people decide to lob it over the fence. I don't understand, you've done the worst bit picking up the poo. Just risk being seen carrying it a few yards more and dispose of it properly.

I suffer from this. Bottom of my garden is a footpath between football field (where there are bins) and a round about (where there is a bin) but people decide to lob it over the fence. I don't understand, you've done the worst bit picking up the poo. Just risk being seen carrying it a few yards more and dispose of it properly.
I will never understand why people leave their poo bags littered around. 'Hmm, what is worse than leaving my dog's shite behind? I know! I'll preserve it in plastic!' One of the great mysteries in life that I will never fathom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about a timely post. Landowner just messaged me to pop over for a chat. I'm suspecting I'll be asked to remove my apiary (7 hives).
Of course, it's entirely his prerogative. I'd much rather that than suddenly not being able to access my stuff.

If that's the case, it's going to be awkward finding another nearby location.

you've done the worst bit picking up the poo. Just risk being seen carrying it a few yards more and dispose of it properly.
reminds me of someone I know, lives a few hundred yards away from me. He is a very responsible dog owner, when he was a bit healthier he'd walk miles every day, collecting everything the dogs deposited and taking it all home in a bag, whenever you saw him it was Aubrey, the dogs, and the full bag. If I was outside when he passed, he'd stop for a chat, but he tends to get excited as he talks, and likes to talk with his hands, strange experience sometimes - Aubs getting really wound up, waving his hands around, dog lead in one and poobag in the other, swinging around: by his side, out as he gestures to something far away, pointing at me as he makes an important comment, even waving above his head sometimes, I just fear that one day the bag will give under the strain!!

Sorry for stating the obvious, but unfortunately you need to get yourself in a position of minimal risk.
If you have out apiaries where the bees, boxes etc are owned and managed by you. Always have a written agreement stipulating free access whilst bees or equipment are on the premises that has been looked over by a solicitor (not expensive)

On the other hand if you "manage" bees for someone make sure that all equipment, bees etc are owned by the client.

I would advise anyone to make sure you always have a back up plan / alternative location.
You never know when the situation could change.
Having 2 sites over 2 miles apart can be useful.

Check to see if your club has an apiary where you can move your hives to temporarily.

I've moved my bees twice to different fields with one farmer. Luckily they still want bees on their land but they also hold horsey events. As thorn suggests and use vehicle to get close to the apiary, arm yourself with an umbrella to deter the dogs, when you open and close the umbrella they see something bigger than them and get afraid. Think Indiana Jones and the last crusade. The other thing is take dog biscuits, many years ago I knew a postman who had a bag of biscuits to passify them, but eventually he had dogs following him just for the biscuits. Other than that tell the NBU you suspect AFB in all your hives at that site.

Back