Lactic Acid Bacteria?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
This is a learning resource thread .
A question for you keen beekeepers and our Continental Cousins.

When the Honey bee is out foraging for pollen she secrets a secretion named Lactic Acid Bacteria from her honey sac or honey crop which adheres to the pollen grains and then is placed on the pollen basket for onward transport back to the hive. Gathering pollen is not as easy as it sounds. Once a honeybee arrives at a flower, she settles herself in and nimbly scrapes off the powdery loose pollen from the stamen with her jaws and front legs, moistening it with a dab of the honey she brought with her from the hive. The enlarged and broadened tarsal segments of her legs have a thick trimming of bristles, called pollen combs. The bee uses these combs to brush the gold powder from her coat and legs in mid-flight. With a skillful pressing movement of her auricle, which is used as a hammer, she pushes the gathered gold into her baskets. Her pollen baskets, surrounded by a fringe of long hairs, are simply concave areas located on the outside of her tibias. When the bee's baskets are fully loaded, the microscopic golden dust has been tamped down into a single golden grain, or granule.

Question is this ; What effect does the Lactic Acid Bacteria have on the pollen grains?

I see from the mass of responses that all you beekeepers are fully aware of what the Bacteria does.
I thought some bright spark might have put it sticks the pollen grains together or such like.

I'll tell you the answer, The bacteria stops the germination of the pollen grain , in other words it stops the growth of the pollen tube for germination.Its as simple as that.

There is more to beekeeping than looking after colonies.

Mo

Last edited:
Interesting. What additional treatment is there of pollen by the bees to stop it going mouldy or stale?

Hi BCrazy
Care to direct us to any good reading matter regarding this?
Cazza

Cazza
After a while you will know that what i put down on paper on this forum is from reliable source's and you can believe what i write.

The reading you may be interested in is an article from BeeCraft mag, I think it was 2009 or 2010 which explains it all.

Polyanwood unfortunately there is nothing the bees can do to try and stop pollen going moldy accept ensure there is a good ventilation flow within the hive. As with all food stuffs it will begin to deteriorate with time.

Mo

Cazza
After a while you will know that what i put down on paper on this forum is from reliable source's and you can believe what i write.

The reading you may be interested in is an article from BeeCraft mag, I think it was 2009 or 2010 which explains it all.

Mo

Dear Mo
Not believing what you write NEVER entered my head. I have been here long enough to trust you.
I merely wished to read around the subject as I find pollen utterly fascinating and enjoy extending my knowledge.
Cazza

Last edited:
Surely it is a simple acid preservation?

I think I am with the French on this one

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=21713165

Lactobacilli are often used to preserve perishables by acidic fementation: - yoghurt, sauercraut, kumiss, silage etc.

I cannot say I am surprised to learn that the bees got there first yet again!

Latest posts

Back