Knives or Forks ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellectronic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 in National,s .
Hi All
Last season I used an uncapping knife for the purposes of uncapping but this season I used an uncapping fork.
I wonder what the general feeling is regarding these tool ie pros ,cons ?

I found the fork less messy and quicker to use but the most interesting thing is what happens to the filter remnants after being fed back to the bees.

The wax capping (soaked in honey) were fed back to the hives via a rapid feeder and after a couple of days the remnants were inspected to find a dryish debris resembling sawdust. It may seem just normal to some of you but it thought it was pretty cool.
Anyway , what are your thoughts regarding uncapping tools ?

I'm told hot air paint strippers are the bees knees in this department although I just use an old bread knife.

I'm told hot air paint strippers are the bees knees in this department although I just use an old bread knife.

I took my first lot of honey off this year and used the hot air gun method. Providing the cappings are white (means there is an air pocket under the cap) it is a very fast method, wastes virtually no wax or honey and keeps the cells reasonably intact for the bees to use next time. I suspect it is less messy and time consuming than the other methods. I'd recommend this method.
The only down sides are it gets very hot in the room if is it small with the gun going, (although the honey won't chill and thicken!) and you have to watch your fingers don't get burnt! There are threads on this method on the forum somewhere.
P.S. Only 'play' the heat on the cells briefly to pop the caps off, otherwise you will melt the cells and you could caramelise the honey (HMF)

Last edited:
If the comb is 'perfect' then I think a knife will work, but if it is uneven, or not suitable for hot air gun, then teh uncapping fork is what I use.

I also give the cappings back to the bees to clean up - magic isn't it :)

Tried the hot air gun method this year but was not impressed. Maybe it was my poor technique but I found a small wax lip was left on the cells which impeded extraction. However, the gun is ace at melting off propylis and cleaning wax off QE etc. May have another go next year but wimped out and went back to a well sharpened knife this year!

Used my ham carving knife cut back to the frame edge, it also stops the extractor from vibrating as all the frames are all the same weight. I cut them over a large box which I have cut the bottom out of and put in varroa mesh to catch the wax and let the honey run through, this sat in a much bigger box to catch the honey. Works fantasticly but then I had nearly 1000lb to deal with.

Previously used a bread knife - great if the comb is even.

I've tried the heat gun, but can't get it right somehow.

Used an uncapping fork this year and will do so next time.

Dusty

I use an uncapping knife, over a settling tank with some net/mesh fastened across the top. It saves having to transfer the honey, and means fewer things to wash.

Just bought an uncapping tray from @belo this year - the one with a spike, perforated tray and a taknk underneath to catch the honey fifty quid - bargain and a great bit of kit. Only criticism is the tank is a bit big with the gate valve so high up you have to uncap a heck of a lot of frames for it tpo be of any use - I just ended tilting it up over a settling tank

Latest posts

Back