Killing Drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbalist

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I was inspecting one of my hives yesterday and noticed that the workers were attacking drones. Three workers were having a go (biting) each drone. What is going on? It is high summer, there is plenty of forage and the weather is fantastic (for bees). Can anyone advise as to why the workers should be beating up the drones at the end of July in the UK?

I was inspecting one of my hives yesterday and noticed that the workers were attacking drones. Three workers were having a go (biting) each drone. What is going on? It is high summer, there is plenty of forage and the weather is fantastic (for bees). Can anyone advise as to why the workers should be beating up the drones at the end of July in the UK?

The bees know what’s coming
The end of forage and time to prep for leaner times

I have lots of drones being evicted.some were booted out a couple of weeks ago which surprised me

Are you sure they were drones? Another possible explanation is that they were worker bees with Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus (CBPV). CBPV has two symptoms that can make you mistake a worker for a drone; swollen abdomen and hair loss (which, if it happens on the upper part of the body can make the eyes look more prominent).

When workers detect other bees with CBPV in the hive, they try to drive them out with nibbling attacks.

They were definitely drones.i have two hives with cbpv at the moment

Oh, best of luck with that. I've just had a hive survive it.

Back