Killer Wasps!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukis-dad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have seen a number of what look like small wasps actually landing on my bees and attacking them. They are not after honey or nectar just the bees.
I put a jam jar with honey and jam near the hives but they ignore it.
Any ideas on what these insects are and how to get rid of them.
thanks

I'm catching a few small wasps in a coke bottle with the top cut off and inverted into the top - baited with apple chunks and water - no jam!

R2

Don't use honey in wasp traps, for obvious reasons. Bees bitten in half are a tell tale sign of wasp attack.

funny i noticed a very small wasp today around the fuschia ,actually stood out it was that small.
Darren.

I have seen a number of what look like small wasps actually landing on my bees and attacking them. They are not after honey or nectar just the bees.
thanks

That'll be wasps. Wasp larvae are carnivorous and secrete a sugary substance that the adult wasps eat - they're feeding your bee's to their larvae.

As the year moves on there are less larvae and they'll be after the honey in your hives instead.

As previously posted, dont bait with honey, it will likely catch/kill bees as well.
Bait with a mixture of sugar water / old fruit juice+sugar with a couple of grapes in it to force fermentation. Wasps love it, bees on the other hand show no interest. Also use a cover to avoid dilution when it rains. R

Last edited:
thanks

This is quite normal behaviour as the wasps are atracted to the honey in your hives. It is just as that the bees are having a go at the wasps. (Hurrah!)Be very careful around hive opening and if for any reason you are feeding syrup, try to be very careful that you spill not one little drop. Once they find a source of food they can be very persistent.

Put a little vinegar in the mixture and put the bait away from the hives.

I have a lovely wasps nest in my roof space at the moment. I am currently living with it.......

Cazza

Thanks for the replies. They are not the normal garden wasp as they are a lot smaller and have a tapered abdomen. Can't find them in my insect book. The bees are definitely being attacked not the other way. I like the coke bottle idea.
Thanks.

Back